Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Man - all the Falcon Elves are taking September off! When will you be back in the neighborhood?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Got in late last night. Man...no worries guys. Sorry you can't make it Gene, and Larry prayers here for your Mother in law and you. Take care of yourself.

I should actually have a trip back in October, but not finalized yet.

I have been working on it today...got all the shifting working, adjusted the clutch total distance...but it still seems like there's not enough spring pressure. Started to try and replace the spring...man what a job on my back now that the seat is in....saving that to finish later.

Got the lock finished on the passenger font, BUT I have been noticing the door handle buttons getting stuck-and only on the front doors. Figured they were just tight but lubed them...and it didn't help. Took a look inside with the cell phone- see the pic attached. There seems to be a big gap between the door button push rod and the "paddle" lever that triggers the lock. is this normal? It seems like I would be better off filling that gap. I want to get this taken care of before I get the door panels on for sure. Since you can't be here in person...you can enjoy my challenges via the forum....appreciate the advice as always.

Working on the locks for the last back door...I think I need more sleep before I figure this out! Jason did the other one and I have the plastic over it now. Off for a few honey-do's and hoping to get some advice from you guys on the front door buttons by later this evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Just bumping this up to the top guys...here's another pic. Any thoughts on this gap between the button and the paddle?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I don't think mine looked anything like that. I recall my button was just a straight peg, not anything bent like you show. I don't think I will be much help.

Looky at all the different actuators... I had no idea.

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...andles-d22.htm

I would take a second look as the assembly. I wonder if the paddle is hanging up.
    Last edited by Jeff W; September 12th, 2016 at 10:55 PM.

I'm in total headless chicken mode Don - sorry.

I'm with Jeff on this one. Never seen that setup before. My '63 has a straight pin and in 64/65 they have a hinge affair of sorts. Might be worth also browsing the TFFN (ugh) and see if anyone there, with a '61, has the same thing.

I do know the gap on the straight pin version is maybe less than an 1/8" away. This seems nearly 3/8-1/2"
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

One silly thought... did you reinstall the spring that goes behind the actuator rod (internal to the handle push button assembly) that pushes the thumb button back out?

I think you had the handles replated... maybe to much thickness is causing it to hang.
    Last edited by Jeff W; September 13th, 2016 at 10:34 AM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Let's hope he did or the gap will grow even larger... but if you have to push it oh so far to get it to release the door, it may be getting stuck due to the push button traveling to areas inside the handle never seen before by man nor beast.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 13th, 2016 at 10:51 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I did have the handles and buttons replated and that's exactly what I thought the problem was at first. It wasn't that however because when I hold back the lever inside and just push the button if moves freely.

Anyway, problem solved. It wasn't a huge half inch gap as it looked in the picture. I cleaned up the paddle inside really good and stuck on a wheel weight. That took up most of the gap. Then I lubed everything really well from the inside and these handles work great in both doors now.

Meanwhile, I installed (after about three hours of being up-side-down under the dash) a new clutch spring inside. Alas...that got a tiny bit better but didn't solve my clutch problem. (Problem 1 being that when you push the pedal down, it doesn't seem to come back up without help from my toe to pull the pedal back up.) I must just not have this thing adjusted correctly. The book just doesn't seem real clear on this to me. I was going to take it to my tranny guy...but he was getting ready to leave on his first vacation in 15 years...so no luck. I did start it up, and it ran great. (Too bad I can't drive it any where...) Pushed in the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor, and it doesn't seem to be disengaging the clutch. Thoughts? I assume I need to play with the Z bar adjustment on the other side?

Meanwhile, all the door locks are in, and I got the drivers door panel installed. this was a head banger for sure...After very careful trimming, and some dry lube in the channel, It finally appeared as though I had it perfectly installed...but when I closed the door (the inside handle wasn't on yet), it apparently pushed the panel towards the rear a little bit and when I opened the door the panel drug on the door latch and stuffed it up a bit. This is one of those days when you wish someone else was doing this job! Anyway, I don't think it's bad enough to replace. I'll have to find some of that vinyl touch up paint or a tiny bit of glue somewhere. I'm hoping I don't have to take the panel off and make it smaller...I think it was just the kick panel edge a little too far out causing interference...but I'll check it out in the morning.

I'm going to try and finish the other doors tomorrow. With me luck!
    Last edited by dhbfaster; September 17th, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Got one rear door panel modified and installed. Modified the other three and repaired previous minor damage. glue is now drying, but they should be ready to install when I get home from work. The car should almost look done.

The clutch problem has to be something simple staring me in the face.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don,

There is also a return spring on the clutch fork, yes? This is supposed to pull the clutch fork back and keep the throw-out bearing off the pressure plate fingers.

The spring under the dash pulls the pedal away from the floor once it reaches that over-center portion.

So really there are 3 springs:
    1) The clutch pressure plate has springs working against the throw-out bearing.
    2) The fork return spring pulling the throw-out bearing off the pressure plate fingers
    3) The under-dash pedal over-center return spring.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 19th, 2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"