Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

OK, just let me know. It will be no sweat since I have so much original wire, with bullet connectors, to make it from. Will be a simple plug and play.

That screw will need to get tightened some how to make things work right. Can't tell if it's an 8-32 or a 10-32 screw, but if it's an 8-32 it would be pretty simple to open the hole to a #21 drill and tap it with a 10-32 bottom tap to increase the screw size. The opening of the bracket would need to be increased a little too, but that's hopefully the resolve to this. If it's 10-32 already... a 10-32 helicoil would be my recommendation.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Original wire with BULLET CONNECTORS?? Sold!
    That would be awesome. Thanks much.

I'm not looking forward to the crick in my neck I'm going to getting upside down with my head under there...but it's going to be worth it I'm sure. While I'm under there, I can get those door light switches plugged too!

That screw is 8-32. I was thinking about tapping it to 10-32, but I don't really want to take the carb off to do it.
    (by the way...pardon my noviceness...what size drill bit is a #21?) I do have a 10-32 tap.

The helicoil kits seems surprisingly expensive...and it seems like you have to drill it out anyway.
    I didn't think I would have to open the bracket...I will double check that.

What do you think about the loctite form-a-thread stuff?
    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-2.../dp/B000WSEUII
    If it's actually as good as they say, and it keeps me from taking the carb off, and if it keeps me from having to open the bracket which could make it off center of where it should be a bit...seems like it would be well worth the $25. I will get a new screw with fresh threads to go with it.
    I have almost zero experience with all this stuff, but I do have a cheap (but not used much) tap and die kit...Harbor Freight.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Original wire with BULLET CONNECTORS?? Sold!
    That would be awesome. Thanks much.
    I'll work on it over the next couple days or so to get it sent to you next week.

I'm not looking forward to the crick in my neck I'm going to getting upside down with my head under there...but it's going to be worth it I'm sure. While I'm under there, I can get those door light switches plugged too!
    Better you than me, but been there, done that enough times to already feel your pain (and it's not due to my own degenerative C5/C6!). Fortunately the door light harness just lays on the bottom of the dash "tray" and is a pretty easy install... relatively.

That screw is 8-32. I was thinking about tapping it to 10-32, but I don't really want to take the carb off to do it. (by the way...pardon my noviceness...what size drill bit is a #21?) I do have a 10-32 tap.
    Drills come in 3 size designations. Fractional, Letter, and number. Number drills go from 1 all the way to very small, like #72 or something like that. Letters go from A-Z. To tap a 10-32 thread you use a #21 drill. I have about 50 of them, so if you hold off until I send the wire, I'll send you one for your own. And... you should use a 10-32 bottom tap, which will let you tap near to the "bottom" of a hole. Most taps are pointy on the leading end. Again, have many to spare.

The helicoil kits seems surprisingly expensive...and it seems like you have to drill it out anyway.
    I didn't think I would have to open the bracket...I will double check that.
    You'll need to open it up until a 10-32 screw will go through.

What do you think about the loctite form-a-thread stuff?
    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-2.../dp/B000WSEUII
    If it's actually as good as they say, and it keeps me from taking the carb off, and if it keeps me from having to open the bracket which could make it off center of where it should be a bit...seems like it would be well worth the $25. I will get a new screw with fresh threads to go with it.
    I considered suggesting something similar, but didn't think it was sufficiently successful to handle this task. I'd give it a 50/50 chance, whereas going to 10-32 (assuming there is room for a bigger screw, etc) or using a helicoil would be a 100% fix.

I have almost zero experience with all this stuff, but I do have a cheap (but not used much) tap and die kit...Harbor Freight.
    Don't risk the H/F set on this. Be wary, at least. I use the heck out of their 3-piece step drills, and find them quite good, but other items, like this, I've used (I have all USA taps/dies) have been kind'a OK, at best. They seem to be going to a Good/Better/Best thing there now, so maybe they have Best stuff now, but haven't looked.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 14th, 2020 at 11:18 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It sounds like I better take the carb off to do the tapping of those threads.
    I think that means I'm going to need a new gasket to go between the carb and the mount- and you made the one I have for me.
    Any chance you have an extra piece of gasket material lying around so I can make another one while I'm at it?

The Harbor Freight tap and die set is definitely a super cheap one...but it did help me do some basic thread cleaning which is what I bought it for.
    Most the HF stuff I have bought has been the so-so category, not in the good or best...but some parts do work and serve their purpose.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

No doubt I do, Don. I'll let you know.

HF stuff is what it is. Some is quite good. They do have a fairly reasonable return policy too.

I'll get something mailed out to you first of the week.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"