Thread: Weird Problem - Is it fuel or electric?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weird Problem - Is it fuel or electric?

OK so here is the situation: 289HiPo w/Pertronix II Ignition also has alternator instead of generator, no voltage regulator that I have seen.

The problem reared it's head 2 weeks ago. I was out driving and having a nice time for about an hour or so. On my way home the car just dies. I do some looking/testing of various things and I think maybe it is the mechanical fuel pump since the new clear filter is not showing full. Put a cup of gas directly in the carb and try to start, no joy. Weird unless spark related, right?

Get towed home, unload it from truck and the car starts right up and I drive it in the garage! So then I think maybe it was something in the fuel tank that restricted the flow and got jostled loose on the 5 minute ride to my house. Still wary I ran the car this weekend and while warming it up for 15 minutes are so, it died twice while idling, But started right up after each. I foolishly took it for a drive and made it about a 1/4 mile and it died for good. Being stubborn, I pushed it home and up a little hill with some friends. I decide to try the FlameThrower II off my Sprint to see of it had gone bad. No difference, no start. Tried it about an 2 hours later and it fired right up with the original coil.

So today, I decided to do more testing, I let it idle in my drive way and at about the 25 minute mark it died, started once after that but died again, then nada. Car is at normal temp, clear plastic fuel filter is full to and clear.

About 1 1/2 -2 hours later it fires right up like nothing is wrong.

BTW, I did have a bad Flame Thrower coil last year (June) which I replaced with the Flame Thrower II and a new set of Pertronix wires, Cap, Rotor, and a new module.

The only other thing changed out was the fuel filter. From a solid metal to a clear plastic one.

So, what's the problem?

1) Pertronix II module?

2) Vapor Lock? BTW the carb does not even get that hot to the touch, so I doubt the front bowl is boiling and there are no metal fuel lines on the engine to the carb

3) Fuel pump? Overheating, vacuum, leaky diaphragm, low psi, etc?

4) Ignition switch? Checked for heat and it is not to the touch at or around the key.

Right now I am just frustrated and gun shy to take the car anywhere until I find this gremlin.

I was going to go ahead an purchase another Pertronix II and see it that nixes the problem, then on the the fuel pump, then the carburetor.

Thanks in advance for your counsel.
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; May 25th, 2015 at 11:51 AM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint