Thread: Keeping it Stock

Keeping it Stock

HI!
    I'm really new to all this. I would like to keep my car as stock as possible, but I realize that will be almost impossible unless I "happen across" NOS parts or old parts at swap meets.
    How much does it devalue the car if I replace engine parts etc? The exhaust manifold is going to be replaced, and it's in the shop right now having the generator fixed. I would also like to upgrade the brakes so I don't have to try to stop half a mile from stop signs, hahhaa. Does this affect the value much? Or does "keeping it stock" mainly pertain to the body and interior? Does it even matter?
    Thanks in advance for offerings of knowledge.
    Michelle

Sadly the Falcon isn't in the realm of original brings more value. Not yet anyway. Value is inching up in general, but I think people will probably pay more for better than original when it comes to these. The concept of original=value really only applies to certain muscle cars and high-collectible value cars. Falcon isn't there.

That doesn't mean a car restored to original as you are watching Don do to his Grand Fathers car isn't worth doing - but it will not mean it is worth more. It will be worth more than if it were never done, but I would not consider it an investment. It'a hobby. It may be worth more to a special person or to the builder (due to sentimental value) if kept original, but you'd have to find that special person - or not care it is costing more than the car will ever be worth. And I am pretty certain you'd never be offered what you invested into it.

I think most of us here lean towards original if not safety related and modify if safety is improved. And modify it if you want to just for modifying sake. I can assure you some of the more heavily modified cars (BadBird, Doghows, PBrown) are worth more after modification than if they were stock.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

On the other hand ....

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    That doesn't mean a car restored to original as you are watching Don do to his Grand Fathers car isn't worth doing - but it will not mean it is worth more.
    Don is my hero for making such an effort to keep his little car as original as possible.

I did pay extra money for my car because it was mostly in its original configuration. That was what I wanted.

If you do upgrade anything on your car, KEEP THE OLD PARTS! That way you can always put it back to original later.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 27th, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I went that route as well. I started off thinking all stock because of the rarity of my model, but it still would only be worth what some one wants to pay. Unfortunately most people don't value our awesome cars like a split window vette or a Boss 302 mustang.
    That being said do like I did and build it for you. Do what makes you smile every time you see your car. I know I smile every time I see mine and usually smile the whole time I drive it.
    I'd bet money that Don smiles every time he looks at his as well. I'm guessing we all do or we wouldn't be doing it.
    Have fun that's what it's all about!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Me too! Just call me smiley!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    I started off thinking all stock because of the rarity of my model, but it still would only be worth what some one wants to pay.
    I think yours would have been worth about the same whether as it is or if stock. You took the best route considering what canvas you had to work with.

This is the agony I have with my wagon. It is very close to pristine as far as rust is concerned. It needs some minor work on the shiny side of things, but for the most part it is very easily brought back to everything original in its underbelly - if that meant something to someone.

The problem I have with it is that I feel, as it was "stock" - "from the factory", it is way under-powered for the motor, clutch, and the size of the car. It's a lot of car to move with an 8.5" clutch. But I have a hard time turning it into a car it wasn't by upgrading the drivetrain. I already did a 4-speed, so I'm not wholly afraid, but a V8 swap (as fun as that might be) would change the car a lot. And cost a lot. So much so I have very recently entertained just selling it and letting someone else do it. Had a lot of lookers at the swap meet, but no offers on it. I'm wishy-washy on the active selling part, but at the same time resist it mostly because I don't want to lose too much on what I've invested. But that's pretty much a given if I sell it.

No matter what, I do things because I like them. I haven't done things to the wagon (more than I have) because I like the originality of it all. Just wish it could get out of its own way better.

If you look at the pictures you can see many things I've changed already from stock, but at first glance it's pretty stock looking. But headers, weber, 1-wire alternator, DSII ignition. All easily converted back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"