Thread: Drag Racing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drag Racing

Don, that is exactly what the noise sounds like. Very loud though.
    Yep, lots of new stuff and finally got it all back together tonight. Tomorrow I will be driving it around if it doesn't rain. Now just need to try and finalize plans for the Nationals. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, that's bizarre to have so much trouble. Are you sure you're livin' right?

Just kidding.

I hope this one works out good for you, but hopefully it can at least ride down to Sactomato and represent the club. I wish I could go.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Drag Racing

Of course I'm living right. Well maybe. Well maybe not. Must be, I'm driving a Falcon for goodness sake.
    That list of everything I did, is just the short list. Didn't get to drive it today, the front end fell off. Kidding.
    Didn't feel well enough to get out much. Will try tomorrow. Lots to do before I leave for Sactomato. I will let you all know how the noisy test drive goes. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

Well, Roger, I would like to take you up on your willingness to help. I have two issues that I could use some brains on. I have been driving the car, and there is a vibration I can feel. I put the car up on jack stands and with the car running in gear, it looks like the drive shaft is wobbling. But, not sure if it's enough to cause the vibration. 2nd, I really would like you to drive the car, feel the vibration and see what you think also about the setting the clutch for proper engagement. Maybe? Please? Thanks, Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, not a problem. I'll touch base this week to arrange this with you.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Drag Racing

Over the last year and a half I have been haunted by a vibration in my car. It all started when I changed to the 9" rear end.
    We thought the vibration was caused by incorrect pinion angle. Reset angle. Nope
    Maybe worn out leaf springs. Bought new ones. Nope
    Maybe the tires were out of round. Checked that, a little bit out of round. Bought new tires. Nope
    Homemade traction bars? Bought new Caltracs. Nope
    Then the rear end started making noise. So, must be the rear end. Quick Performance sent me a new one. Nope
    A couple of weeks ago, I put the car on stands, put it in gear and watched the driveshaft. Wobbled all over the place.
    Thought I must have installed it wrong. Nope
    Had Roger and my neighbor (life long Ford mechanic) come over and look at it, and both said it looks bad.
    Did a check with a dial indicator and it showed the driveshaft was .070 out of balance.
    Called Drivelines NW and he said it was impossible. Now get this........He said their quality assurance processes made sure they are perfect.
    Well if you have followed this problem, you might remember that the first time they made the driveshaft they made it too long. Oops.
    They remade it, but this time instead of cutting it 1 1/2" shorter, they cut it 3" too short. Oops.
    So when he told me their inspection process makes them perfect, I reminded him of their imperfect production twice. Oops.
    So...I took this driveshaft down to them, showed him the readings I got with the dial indicator. He said they would check it, but it is impossible for it to be that bad, because if it was, it would vibrate the windows out of my car. I said "Thanks a lot" that is what I have.
    Now, before I took the driveshaft to them, my brother told me to put notches in the fittings so I could tell if they did anything.
    Today, they said it was ready. When I got there, they told me that there was really nothing wrong, maybe a 4-6 thousandths off, and one missing washer.
    But, what is weird? The notches weren't there. Also, the balance weights that were on it were rectangular. Now they are round. No evidence of them cutting the others off, no grinding.
    So, instead of admitting they screwed up, they made up a story and made me a new driveshaft.
    I installed that driveshaft today, and miracle. NO wobble.
    I will drive it tomorrow if I can and see if the vibration is gone. I will update. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Wow, what a painful story. Anyone who knows quality assurance knows there's no such thing as a perfect quality assurance process. And then why would they cover it up when they gave you a new one anyway? Strange...looking forward to the test drive.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree