Thread: Drag Racing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drag Racing

No rivalry, we just love to do the same things. We have both loved cars our whole life, both raced, even in the 60's he had a beautiful 56 Chevy and 64 Ford with the first 406 engines. He raced it quite a bit.
    I had the most beautiful black 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop with a great engine, beautiful white rolled and pleated interior with bucket seats and four speed. It was the best looking car in Wichita and it won a ton of drag races.
    Both Jerry and I would love to get to race together again, but I don't have any ideas of beating his car. I will admit to a lot of jealousy in his getting to drag race all year in beautiful weather and there are numerous car shows every weekend in Tucson the whole year. I would love that.
    If Carol was to even mention us moving to Tucson, I would be there within a week. I absolutely love the heat, the desert and the sun. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

Anyone who has experience with slicks on a 64 Falcon I would love some help figuring out what the widest slick is that will fit, without rubbing the fender wells. Thanks, Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

Well, here is the good news. I finally have the 9" rear end installed. Got the pinion angle set with the driveshaft up 4 degrees and the rear pinion pointing down 2 degrees. Quick Performance said to get the pinion angle between 5-7 negative degrees. I now have negative 6 degrees. So that I am happy with. Got everything finished and took some pictures. Now the bad news. Looking at the one picture, (2nd pic)I can see that the pin from the leaf spring is not aligned with the hole in the axle housing support.
    I couldn't see that when installing, only showed up on picture because I could stick the camera high enough to see.
    Soooooooo, tried getting a mirror in the space to see if it is lined up, can't tell. Will have to probably tear it all apart again to make sure it's right, and might need to find a longer pin to put on the leaf springs. More to come. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Lead-foot Larry

Hello, Larry.

"I can see that the pin from the leaf spring is not aligned with the hole in the axle housing support."

What would happen if the car were driven as is?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Drag Racing

Maybe nothing Dennis, but I sure wouldn't want to drag race with the pins not line up. It could definitely move around without that pin in the axle housing. I have one side taken apart, the pin removed and talked to the guys at Truck Springs where I got the leaf springs. They said they would sell me a longer bolt and send me a sleeve that fits under the pin section making the pin go up into the housing bracket.
    I decided to try and make something myself. I installed a nut on the pin bolt and will round off the nut points making it round. I will send pictures out. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, I had to really fuss with all this when I needed to relocate the axle relative to the wheel opening on the Ranchero. Finding bits that claim they fit right was tough.

I couldn't quite tell what I was seeing last time I looked and meant to ask for clarity -:but then got distracted and forgot to. I hope you have it all figured out now, but know you are always welcome to call and in most cases I'll come right away to give you a second set of eyes on something.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"