Thread: Drag Racing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drag Racing

Dennis, you asked about the weight. I put it on the bathroom scales. (Didn't carry it inside). It weighed 98 pounds.
    Either 98 lbs. is a lot heavier than it used to be or I am getting really old and weak. Don't start with your computations Dennis . I already know the true answer.
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Iron-man Larry

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Either 98 lbs. is a lot heavier than it used to be or I am getting really old and weak.
    Nah, 98-pounds is one heavy chunk of steel.

How much do you think that the standard eight-inch rear end weighs?
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Drag Racing

Dennis, I didn't take the 8" third member out of the other housing. I intend to sell the setup and didn't want to screw up the sealant. I am not sure what the 8" weighs, but it is less. I have picked it up and put it in a vise by myself. Couldn't do that with this 9".

I have the new housing and third member sitting on the leaf springs. But, as in all things, nothing is easy. The U bolts for the 8" are smaller than the 9" so need to buy those. But that isn't the main problem. The plate for attaching the shock absorber that the U bolts go through will not have the correct hole spacing now. I want to keep that plate since my traction bars are welded to them. Not sure if elongating the holes fore and aft will cause any problems. Don't think so, but any input??
    Also have questions about the driveshaft length to look at. More to come. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Drag Racing

If any of you have changed over to the 9" from an 8", do you remember how much the driveshaft has to be shortened? I remember someone talking about where to get one shortened and re-balanced.

Got the housing installed, axles and brakes reinstalled. Brake lines hooked back up, but the vent hole in the housing is in a different location and different diameter threaded hole, so can't use the old brake line fitting that the breather went through. No problem, just have to rig up something different. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, it's best to insert the driveline fully, then pull it back out an inch and measure at the rear cup of the yoke to the back of the front u-joint. This will give you center to center of the length. Drivelines Northwest is where most go. Right there in Everett.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"