Thread: Lets get started

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior citizen Guest

Lets get started

I am new here and decided that I might as well wade on in. I have built several cars over the years including a 56 Chevy and a 40 Ford from the frame up. I backed away from the hobby several years ago when things got a little to high tech and expensive for a DIY working person. Last year I found a 64 Ranchero like the one I bought new in 64 (kind of tells you I am no kid anymore). My Falcon is a nice 20 or 30 footer with no major rust or damage, but it is time to start the revamp. I have had a lot of cars and never have been a restorer type , so will go with some minor modifications in several phases. I want to lower it 2 or 3 inches and convert it to 5 lug in the process. I like the way it rides and handles now (My regular ride is a Jeep TJ so anything is an improvement) and mainly want to improve the brakes and stance. What do you guys think of Fatman 2 inch dropped spindles, with the Wilwood brake option for the front? Is this the hot set up or would some Granada discs with cut coils get the job done. I have had several low riders and a little bounce doesn’t bother me much. I am wondering if anyone has an 8 inch rear or would converting to an 8.8 with discs be a better choice (which model would have the right width?). I have a nice shop with all the equipment to do a ground up rebuild (although talent is sometimes a little suspect). I plan on staying with the 200 six and three speed for now, as this is to be a long term project were I can enjoy the journey.

Let me know what you think. I am looking forward to meeting many of you and being an active member of the group.

Dan Parris
    64 Ranchero - 200 inch 6cyl.- three speed
    Attached Images Attached Images