Thread: Overheating on a 170 in a 1961

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Overheating on a 170 in a 1961

Hello,

I seem to be having some overheating issues. The 61 I'm working on has a new 2-row original style radiator, new water pump, new hoses, and a new 180 degree thermostat. Back at the end of May I had been driving it around a local town and it didn't seem to have any problems, temperature stayed right in the middle all day. Yesterday I was driving it at a steady 40 mph and the temperature gauge pegged out fairly quick after about 4 miles. It is warmer out now since it is going on July, but I don't understand what could make it drive so well last month and now it seems to overheat so badly? I haven't really messed with anything recently.

Based on some research I did, maybe I should check the timing? Also the fuel to air ratio on the carb? I also heard that a blown head gasket could be the culprit.

Does anyone else have any leads or maybe something I'm over looking? Thanks for any help!

-Andrew

Fan belt?

Hello, Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Notar61 View Post
    I don't understand what could make it drive so well last month and now it seems to overheat so badly?
    Maybe the thermostat is stuck closed?

Is your fan belt tight?

When the radiator cap is off and the the engine is is running, can you see that the coolant is moving (circulating) in the radiator?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis,

Thanks for the ideas.

Hopefully it's not a stuck thermostat. It's brand new. But I guess anything is possible.

The fan belt might be something though. I did put a new one on after I replaced all the cooling system parts. Maybe I didn't get it tight enough? That would make sense in that it was fine right when I put it on, but it might of slowly loosened up over time......thus making it overheat recently. I will have to check that today when I get home. Does anyone know the torque spec on the tensioner bolt?

I can also open up the radiator and verify if the coolant is moving around in there too.

Thanks again!

-Andrew

In addition to Dennis' great spot-on suggestions, you may want to verify your lower hose has a spring inside of it. With the motor off reach down and see if you can squeeze it to the point of collapse. Lower hoses are under suction and at a steady speed the lower hose may have got sucked closed.

I assume also the car actually did overheat with some evidence other than the temp gauge? Make sure that it isn't just a faulty sender.

Checking for flow does two thing at different points in time. When you start the car cold, cap off, there will be very little, if any flow and movement. Once the thermostat starts to open (if it opens) you will see the flow of coolant begin as you are looking down into the radiator.

Regarding a blown head gasket, this is, of course, possible, but would be the last thing to check for. Though there are testing tools for this - sniffers for combustible fumes out the radiator - there is also a potential for the water as you're running it to begin to bubble and froth like Old Faithful just running it there in the garage. If that doesn't happen, I would probably rule that out.

Also A/F mixture would be almost a non issue on a stock-ish Falcon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

I don't think my new lower radiator hose had a spring in it. If it did I may not of noticed. I can check though tonight. Do you know anywhere I can get a spring to put in there? I saw some for the V8 engines that some places sold, but not one for the six cylinder engine.

I'll do the radiator "cap off test" and let you guys know the results once I get the chance.

Hopefully its just something simple like the belt being loose or the lower radiator hose needing that spring.

-Andrew

You can get springs. In fact I bought a lower hose and spring (for something) once thinking the lower spring was "optional" and the hose came with a spring too...

... not sure if I still have said spring.

But check first and see. Hopefully it is simple. If all your changing was because it was overheating before, you may have simply not fixed yet what was wrong.

Keep us posted.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Not to be a smart *** but is the thermostat in the correct way? I only bring it up because I did put mine in backwards before and she blew her top.
    Just looking for the simple stuff. Good luck.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Yeah I guess some sensor testing is in order. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

And Dogshows, no worries on the thermostat question, but the old one was in the correct way and the new one I just installed went in the same way as well.
    (Spring towards the engine, pointy end towards the radiator).

I may be grabbing at straws here, but is it possible my oil pump is dead or in the process of dying? I had a flickering oil pressure light lately, but just figured the oil pressure switch/sensor needed to be replaced. I read somewhere that if it was on the fritz it could cause the engine to overheat pretty quick. Just a thought, although I read that it is rare that they ever go out.

Thanks again everyone for all the help on this!
    -Andrew
    Last edited by Notar61; July 27th, 2016 at 01:41 PM.

Andrew,

The temperature and fuel gauge both operate off a 5-volt voltage regulator on the back of the gauge cluster. Is the fuel gauge working well? If it too is misbehaving, then this regulator may need to be changed. It's a crude device at best and they will seriously alter your gauge readings if bad.

Also, there is overheating and there is high temperature gauge readings. Overheating is blowing coolant out somewhere. High temp readings can be checked for using any of the things like Dennis suggested checking for.

Of course, if the water is flowing, the thermostat has to be opening. You can often use that point, at which it opens and water begins to flow, as a "read" for what the gauge is showing. Stock gauges have no temps written on them, so if you have a 180° thermostat and you watch the gauge, when you see water just start to flow look at the needle on the gauge. If it is already pegged at that point, you can rest knowing it is not reading right. If it is reading low at that point, yet continues to climb - then you may have something totally unusual causing the overheating. These would include everything from a shot water pump, leaky head gasket, cracked block, cracked head, or the engine is on its last leg. But really, as a motor gets old and sloppy, it tends to make less heat than more of it. Ring friction is at a minimum as is cam-lobe friction, which causes a lot of heat.

By now it sounds as though you have changed all the obvious things, so the question I guess I'm asking, is it a blow its lid overheating or simply an indication via temp gauge of overheating, but nothing is spewing?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"