Thread: Distributor Advance

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Distributor Advance

I have a 1960 - 1962 service manual with a 1963 V-8 supplement. The manual provides vacuum advance specifications for a six cylinder but not for an eight.

Someone might have this information in a 1964 service manual. I am looking for the mechanical and vacuum advance ranges for the distributors that would have gone with a 1963 Falcon manual transmission and an Ford-O-Matic transmission.

I found this information for a 1965 Mustang, but it applies to a 289 with a three-speed automatic.

Advance characteristics.JPG

See: http://www.mustang-s.com/years/1965/...stributors.htm

Is there any similar site for 1963 Falcon distributors?

I want to know how the timing advance for an automatic differed from one for a manual. Now you can get a universal distributor for "Ford 221, 260, 289, 302", but back in the day the distributors were specific to the transmission type.

Thanks, Dennis.

Summary: "For a 289 V-8 with a three-speed automatic, the centrifugal weights function through the 450 - 2000 RPM range (10 - 44 mph) and add 12 degrees of advance. The vacuum advance functions at higher engine speeds for additional advance and operates from 8 to 14 inches of mercury vacuum to provide 11 degrees of advance. The combined total equals 23 degrees of advance."
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 13th, 2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)