Thread: 260 dipstick tube

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

260 dipstick tube

This is a story about a part that I did not know existed for a problem that I did not know that I had.

A guy at a Ford show told me that my oil dipstick was supposed to be inside the generator bracket, like on this example:

63 Futura on e-bay.jpg

... and this example:

Sprint Engine Bay.jpg

My dipstick was outside of the generator bracket:

Crankcase Filter.jpg

My dipstick tube stuck straight up and it would not go inside the generator bracket without bending it. That made me realize that I did not have the correct dipstick tube. Hmmmm. That caused me to start over-thinking things and I wondered if I might be getting incorrect oil level indications if the length of the dipstick tube was longer or shorter than it was supposed to be.

A replacement dipstick for a 289 or 302 would not be the same because they used an alternator and not a generator and would be bent to a different angle.

It turns out that CJ Pony parts has a dipstick tube specifically for a 260 for $12.99 including postage. Yay! I figured "what the heck" and went ahead and ordered one.

CJ Pony Parts 260 Dipstick Tube .99.jpg

CJ also sells a replacement dipstick for a 260 that measures 24-inches. I measured my existing dipstick and it is exactly ..... 24-inches. Yay! My oil level measurements will be spot-on perfect! (If I have the correct oil pan.)

CJ Pony 260 dipstick 24 inches.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 20th, 2016 at 06:40 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)