Thread: Explorer rear axle swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've heard a lot of "I've heard a lot of people say" this last year. Not sure why.

Here's a not so scientific comparison of what I'm concerned about. Though the pinion angles are not the same between each in the pictures, so the lengths are not going to be the same with each using my dividers, you can see in the 8" the distances between the pinion center to the base of the backing plate is identical (I'm not adjusting the divider at all in these pictures). If you assume the pinion angle tweaks the adjustment I'd need to make to the divider, there is a visible off-set from left to right.

2016-11-28 13.10.53.jpg
    2016-11-28 13.11.05.jpg
    2016-11-28 13.11.29.jpg
    2016-11-28 13.11.45.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

This set of pictures is only of the 8.8" and the divider adjusted to the shortest distance. You can see on the left it is shorter. Your measurements will be more accurate.

2016-11-28 13.28.09.jpg
    2016-11-28 13.28.30.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Finally got the axles measured and it surprised me a bit with what I found. So here is my best description of what I measured.

8" axle from center of pinion bolt to drivers backing plate= 25&1/2"
    to drivers WMS = 29&1/2"
    to pass backing plate = 25"
    to pass WMS = 28&1/2"

8.8" axle from center of pinion bolt to drivers backing plate =27"
    to drivers WMS =29&1/2"
    to pass backing plate =25&1/2"
    to pass WMS = 28&1/2"
    So it looks like the WMS to WMS is exactly the same on both axles, the difference is in the drum thickness vs the disc brake thickness.
    The only measure me I wish I would have done and wil do is put a tape from WMS to WMS and see if the pinion nut is the same between both axles.
    Let me know if you see anything I am missing or misinterpreting.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Guessing, but WMS is... wheel mounting surface perhaps?

8" - Not sure how you can have only 1/2" difference left/right to backing plate, but 1" difference to the WMS Backing plate to WMS would also have to be 1/2" different end to end.

Odd.

8.8" - You seem to have a similar offset.

So, I don't know why that is. I guess just hope the pinion yoke ends up going down the tunnel close enough to center.

Generally, like pinion angle versus extension housing/yoke angle needs to be similar, you don't want to inject a left/right offset of the driveline going back. U-joints don't like getting too many differing angles to get from here to there. Short linkages, like steering, you can get by with this, some, but driveline angle differences usually induce vibrations.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"