Thread: Odd Vibration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When I was 11...

I remember my dad having odd vibrations in his '53 Plymouth. Drove him a bit crazy too. So he set out to figure out the cause, and as I was, his shadow, I was right there "helping." We ended up pulling the motor apart eventually and discovered this motor, which had apparently been a JC Whitney long-block rebuild (or some such thing), had 3 car connecting rods and 3 truck connecting rods. These flat-heads were used in multiple applications back then and had heavier connecting rods in the heavy-duty applications. Long story long, he changed to 6 of the same type and wa-la, balance was achieved. So, it is possible there are odd internals mixed in here too. Not sure what you can mix up in these motors since I've not studied that potential.

I am home a lot these days so feel free to PM me and maybe on a day that isn't pouring down rain you can arrange to have you bring it by and we'll have a feel/listen.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

odd vibration

These are all good suggestions thanks. So far I am surely not seeing any easy fix. Taking the transmission out seems like a chore and so does pulling the engine and dissembling it looking for something odd. Both being things I have never done before. I am no expert but I think the 144 , 170 & 200 are all basically the same blocks internal parts could maybe be mixed . If it would just break I bet I could find the problem then lol. Maybe as the weather gets a bit better I will bring it to one of your meetings and maybe we could brainstorm it together.

Odd vibration

Well surprise surprise I ran a compression check this morning it was disappointing . When I first got the car it was running from 150 -165 psi just fine for me. This morning I ran a check and got 80 - 110. OH MY. The cyl walls were oiled the first time from when I first fired it up. This time I just ran it a few minutes and then checked. I think what I have here is simply a tired old motor.

Or a tired compression tester. Maybe it was dropped since last time you checked. 50psi drop straight across all cylinders sounds suspicious and unlikely.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I agree with Jeff. I can't think of anything, engine-wise, to cause an across-the-board drop like that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"