Dave,

It takes a lot to bend the originals, so be sure to inspect the inner (front/rear) fender aprons for signs of wrinkles too. The car may have hit something in its 57 year history.

There are two types of aftermarket shock-tower braces; solid one-piece stamped and Heim-joint style; the latter being (in my opinion) cosmetic pieces more so than the originals and the one-piece version in terms of structural rigidity. I've helped install both types and the Heim-joint style is better than nothing (which I've seen on these cars too), but used the one-piece version on my Ranchero, along with Monte Carlo bar and really liked how solid it was.

Less Monte Carlo bar...http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...2&d=1383592785

Pros/Cons:

One-piece Version- Pros: very stiff; adds clearance above brake master; easily bolts into place. Cons: If you have had any previous movement, these will fight you to line up their mounting holes; may not "land" where they need to land requiring significant finessing.

Heim-joint style- Pros: easily adaptable to any shape your engine bay may be in; look sporty; far more added space for things that may otherwise interfere; some include a Monte Carlo bar option, which will help with the following con. Cons: You are bolting these to the cowl/firewall intersection, which isn't stiff when you attach a flexible joint to this spot. Inward flex of the towers will push against these bars and flex the firewall/cowl intersection upward. Adding the Monte Carlo bar will provide side-to-side resistance to tower movement and compensate a bit for the weaker attachment at the cowl.

Hope this helps!