Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Aw come-on Gene, "you are the club I know." But yeah, to say the least, I too was a bit saddened by the lack of response for this tech day(s). But oh well, what ya gonna do. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think the two of us, or even me by myself, couldn't have accomplished the task. I'm in your debt, Gene, for the use of your garage and elbow grease.

Here it is.

20190704_120558.jpg

Found out (after it started and ran like crapola) the builder used a 351W cam, which required a quick re-route of the spark plug wires (different firing order), so will have to scrutinize the plug wires again to get them routed the way I like. But it ran so much better afterward. It was getting late in the day and, as Gene indicated, I only did a quick "round the block" test drive before hitting the road.

Should have maybe looked around the motor more before I left. I found this sitting on the headers and steering box. I'll get it back to you, Gene, when I come back to get the 289 left-overs.

20190704_120656.jpg

There is still an issue with the clutch (slave?) or I still have some air in the system. Cool/cold, the pedal disengages the clutch nicely. When I got home the wife wanted to go for a ride and I found the clutch to be only partially disengaging the clutch. Of course, no way to look at it without a flat spot on concrete where I can jack it up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

That looks great guys. Nice work. I wish I could have joined you.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Would loved to have been there - to watch and maybe hand you wrenches. My daughter's softball tourney got in the way. The engine looks fantastic, Roger!
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Very sorry the tech day didn't have more attendance. Carol and I have been spending most of our time in McMinnville Oregon. Carols mother is in assisted living care and not doing well. Hospice is keeping her comfortable but all our time is with her. Hope to see your pickup at the next meeting. I am still looking for a round body Falcon to make a gasser. Either the cars are too good, (very expensive) or very bad. Rust buckets. Good luck Roger. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Still tinkering

Well, it's been a few weeks since I drove the car home from Gene's, but with summer travels and other summer commitments, I've found almost zero time to futz with it to get it dialed in. I did discover the builder had added some balance to the harmonic balancer, so I did swap that out. Also got new plug wires and swapped the coil, since I sliced a plug wire or two on the separators (edges were so sharp, so I filed them all before putting on the new ones).

I also can't get it to run correctly on this Summit carburetor on the idle circuit. I can turn in both idle air screws and it will run. I ordered some air bleed screws and new jets for it from Summit, but there is not a lot of information out there on what bits to swap. It was running really rich before - to the point of making my eyes melt out of their sockets - and the last change I made seems to have improved that, but it didn't change the idle circuit issue.

Soooo.... I dug out all my 4100 Autolite carbs and just finished building one of those to see if it will work better. Just ordered an electric choke part (not gonna use a stove pipe version) and a new fitting to convert inverted flare to an-6 to get it installed. Fingers crossed it will improve enough to drive it, as I'm not sure what I'll do failing that. Fuel Injection or another brand carburetor - again. I've sold off 2 Edelbrocks and 3 Holleys because they're so finicky (in my previous uses of them). The 4100 is a very basic and highly respected carburetor - for as old it is - but that is the crux. They are hard to find in usable shape. Of the 4 I had (2 @ 1.08 and 2 @ 1.12 - 480 and 600 CFM, respectively), I only had one 1.12 I could build. Lots of parts though. Stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Your shop has a nice window above your bench. Stop your bellyaching

I'm sure you will get your gas issue figured out. You are a smart dude.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

After two different Autolite 4100's and neither doing justice to this motor I decided, after reading oodles of reviews on the thing, to get a Demon brand Street Demon carburetor and tuning kit for this motor. While I'm At Itâ„¢ I also decided it was time to improve the ignition system of it too, so picked up a MSD 6AL for it. I figure I can sell off the 2 rebuilt Autolite 4100's (and parts from 2 others) and the Summit Carb and tuning kit, which works, but I just can't figure out how to tune it, to pay for all this. There is still a slim chance I might see a car show this year.

Progress on the garage is still the same. Trusses are ordered and the delivery of these determines when they start all the other work. I'm having a lot of tree work done this week to get the space prep'd further.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

After another week of waiting for the "correct" little red inlet fitting on the Demon carburetor, the Ranchero, with its new motor, finally runs like I hoped this combination would. Added the MSD box as well, but not sure I can tell if it added anything perceptible. We'll see.

I am baffled a bit by the current interference fit of the headers and the engine compartment. Seems like the new heads are wider than the stock heads, or something, so the headers are zero clearance on the passenger side against the frame (near the idler arm bracket) and only 1/8" on the driver side. Seems I had far more clearance before. Lacking a floor and a working jack (mine started leaking like a sieve, so I got rid of it) - it's gonna wait. It's drivable.

So now I have to focus on getting the area for the (upcoming) garage ready for a construction crew - and find a place to stash the Ranchero and pickup out of the way while construction is underway.

So... on another note... where is everyone?
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; August 30th, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"