Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

New to the forums and Falcon ownership.
    I always admired from afar, but now I am the proud owner of a 63 Futura convertible with bucket seats and the 170 special.
    I told myself that I would not buy a project car. But then, ifyou’re like me, you see what you can afford and what you can find locally and you realize quickly that you’re not getting a show car.
    I feel good about the purchase so far. I started out telling myself I wanted to keep this car all original so I could go to shows and stand a chance at placing. Now I feel like I just want it to stay complete, run well,and drive safely.
    My father in-law saw the car, and being a big horsepower mustang guy, he of course wants me to do a V8 swap. After doing some research, I don't feel like my chances are very good of locating all the parts needed for that swap, at least not very affordably. Am I wrong in this assumption? I read that the 63-1/2 made the V8 swap easier, Is there a method for determining if a Falcon is a 63 or a 63-1/2?
    Another option is a 200 inline from a 68 mustang that I could possibly rebuild. I have no information on the age and use of this motor, I also will likely never have the money to do the Australian aluminum head. Would this swap be worth doing?
    Also, I am struggling to find anyone that has done the Wilwood 4-lug disc brake kit on a falcon, anyone heard anything about it? Am I nuts for wanting to keep the 4-lug setup and just put on some Scott Drake 15x6 wheels? I know everyone will say to go 5-lug and be happy with the better selection of wheels, but it seems like a bigger undertaking than I really want to get into. (remember, I’m still telling myself this is not a project car!)
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; February 12th, 2020 at 05:53 AM. Reason: My work PC screwed that up. Fixed.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo