Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Matt,

If it's a convertible, it's going to be a later 1/2 year. They did the convertible when the did the hardtop 63 1/2, so that gives you (as I recall) torque boxes up front just like a V8 car had. All hardtops/verts got them, whether V8 or not.

As for 8 or not to 8, you'd be changing all the running gear and front suspension bits. Best donor car is a 65 V8 Falcon as it's a direct bolt-in. I was fortunate to get all I needed - including rims with new tires - for $400 when I built my Ranchero, but that was being in the right spot at the right time. Unlikely to get that sort of a deal unless you can find a person selling the whole car for dirt cheap. 4-door cars are least desirable and more often cheaper to buy if you can find one with the V8 - and complete.

Scarebird is probably a better route to go with doing disc brakes on your bird. We (as a club) did the R&D install for them a decade ago and it's a sound kit - and they use all off the shelf parts, so when something fails you're not at the mercy of some expensive aftermarket source. Just go to the local parts house. Just Google "Scarebird" and you'll get to their web site.

If it were me I'd keep the 6 until you get the vision for what you want to do. You'll ultimately grow into the car and see how easy it is to work on and want to make some mods along the way. Just be careful not to chew off more than you can swallow and end up with a car up on blocks forever, which is the main reason folks loose interest and never finish them.

Post some pics when you get a chance. We'd love to get some new project pics to look at.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 11th, 2020 at 12:36 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"