Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

New to the forums and Falcon ownership.
    I always admired from afar, but now I am the proud owner of a 63 Futura convertible with bucket seats and the 170 special.
    I told myself that I would not buy a project car. But then, ifyou’re like me, you see what you can afford and what you can find locally and you realize quickly that you’re not getting a show car.
    I feel good about the purchase so far. I started out telling myself I wanted to keep this car all original so I could go to shows and stand a chance at placing. Now I feel like I just want it to stay complete, run well,and drive safely.
    My father in-law saw the car, and being a big horsepower mustang guy, he of course wants me to do a V8 swap. After doing some research, I don't feel like my chances are very good of locating all the parts needed for that swap, at least not very affordably. Am I wrong in this assumption? I read that the 63-1/2 made the V8 swap easier, Is there a method for determining if a Falcon is a 63 or a 63-1/2?
    Another option is a 200 inline from a 68 mustang that I could possibly rebuild. I have no information on the age and use of this motor, I also will likely never have the money to do the Australian aluminum head. Would this swap be worth doing?
    Also, I am struggling to find anyone that has done the Wilwood 4-lug disc brake kit on a falcon, anyone heard anything about it? Am I nuts for wanting to keep the 4-lug setup and just put on some Scott Drake 15x6 wheels? I know everyone will say to go 5-lug and be happy with the better selection of wheels, but it seems like a bigger undertaking than I really want to get into. (remember, I’m still telling myself this is not a project car!)
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; February 12th, 2020 at 05:53 AM. Reason: My work PC screwed that up. Fixed.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Matt,

If it's a convertible, it's going to be a later 1/2 year. They did the convertible when the did the hardtop 63 1/2, so that gives you (as I recall) torque boxes up front just like a V8 car had. All hardtops/verts got them, whether V8 or not.

As for 8 or not to 8, you'd be changing all the running gear and front suspension bits. Best donor car is a 65 V8 Falcon as it's a direct bolt-in. I was fortunate to get all I needed - including rims with new tires - for $400 when I built my Ranchero, but that was being in the right spot at the right time. Unlikely to get that sort of a deal unless you can find a person selling the whole car for dirt cheap. 4-door cars are least desirable and more often cheaper to buy if you can find one with the V8 - and complete.

Scarebird is probably a better route to go with doing disc brakes on your bird. We (as a club) did the R&D install for them a decade ago and it's a sound kit - and they use all off the shelf parts, so when something fails you're not at the mercy of some expensive aftermarket source. Just go to the local parts house. Just Google "Scarebird" and you'll get to their web site.

If it were me I'd keep the 6 until you get the vision for what you want to do. You'll ultimately grow into the car and see how easy it is to work on and want to make some mods along the way. Just be careful not to chew off more than you can swallow and end up with a car up on blocks forever, which is the main reason folks loose interest and never finish them.

Post some pics when you get a chance. We'd love to get some new project pics to look at.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 11th, 2020 at 12:36 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks so much for the Scarebird recommendation Roger!
    That looks perfect, but it will put me in a bad position also. I noticed the 4-lug kit will not allow my original wheels to fit. Going to 5-lug will expand my wheel options, but then I’m into finding the right rear end to match.
    Because i have learned my lesson in the past with temporary hold-over purchases, i like to buy what i plan to use for good. Buying new wheels and tires will easily eat up $1k of my budget, almost half.
    Im thinking now after some research that i should first tackle the most unsafe component in my Falcon, the brake master cylinder.
    AutoKrafters has a bolt on kit to install a brake booster and a new master with dual reservoirs for about $400. Ive read that it should be a pretty good upgrade even with drums, and a proportioning valve will allow me to upgrade to the Scarebird discs when i want.
    What do you think, should i buy new wheels? Going to discs will force me into it anyway. I’m just concerned about blowing most of my budget going to disc brakes and then having little left for everything else that might go wrong down the road.
    BTW, I’ve got about $2400 to spend on ensuring its road trip worthy, seems like a tall order. She hesitates and sometimes stalls off the line, but otherwise runs fine. Any ideas on what i should focus on?
    Matt
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Stock 14" rims will fit the Scarebird setup, but not the 13" rims. I had minor fitment issues even with 14" rims, but I suspect it was probably the different caliper manufacturer variations to cause that. It was an easy fix. There is a few threads here on the subject if you just search "scarebird" in the search tool. We did the R&D "test fit" for them on the very first Falcon setup (the car we did is still used on their site and probably their install instructions), so we documented it here pretty well. I then did it on my (then) station wagon, so you'll see in that thread a few changes I made; namely, adding splash plates.

There are other 4-lug rims out there, but your choices rise considerably with the 5-lug rims. If you need tires, then you may want rims while you're at it. That's a tough one to direct someones choice on.

I agree with where you went with doing what is "really" needed to get the car safe and comfortable to drive with all the brainless cars out there. A Falcon doesn't allow you much opportunity to go brainless while driving, so a safe car and defensive driving habit is pretty much mandatory. We offer to members of the club the install labor to go to dual master cylinder (you supply the parts, and maybe the space to do the work - but sometimes one of our spaces). Not sure you need to go full power brakes with the 6, but the dual M/C is a simple add and adds the safety. The original 6-cyl brakes are pretty small in grand scheme of things, but rebuilt and all they've stopped these cars for 60 years.

As for the hesitation, the carburetor may need a rebuild, or someone put the wrong carburetor on. These engines came with a pretty funky distributor advance thing called "Load-O-Matic" (you can google that to learn more) and uses only a vacuum advance on the distributor to operate any timing advance. For this feature to work you MUST have a carburetor with this circuit and the vacuum diaphragm on the distributor has to function. The distributor is easy to test by pulling a vacuum on the diaphragm to see if the plate inside (with the points) move and hold as you suck, but you'd probably just want to snap a picture of your carburetor so we can see what you have for the fastest support on that. You'd be surprised how many early 6 cylinder cars are driving around with no advance circuit at all due to just having the wrong carburetor on it.

Lots to digest, I know, but you can get a lot of miles on that $2400 if you proceed carefully and with some knowledge of some tidbits.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Im really leaning towards the 4-lug scarebird and a dual MC now.
    I found some wheels that might work; U.S. Wheel 52 Series Chrome Smoothie Wheels 52-5608.
    Theyre a 15x6 with 3-5/8"Backspacing, but no matter how I searched it, I just couldn't confirm for sure they will fit. Anyone see a glaring issue?

I will have pics of the motor posted when I get off work.
    I really appreciate the help in getting this shopping list going. No expensive mistakes!
    Matt

So, here is the carb and distributor.
    BDDBC144-F0BF-48A2-B7C9-9D943F228A7E.jpgE74B514E-1144-4592-95B6-3E1C19665A33.jpg2BF205BD-910E-4FE4-A727-9AEE40F9417E.jpg
    I hope these are close enough to get the info needed.

I will post pics of the rest of the Falcon once we get a decent day to take it out.
    Of course i bought it in the winter, a toy i cant play with.
    Matt

So it is a manual choke Autolite 1100 WITH the correct Load-O-Matic circuit. So that is good. From the exterior it doesn't look too grimy, so do this quick accelerator pump test. Run the car a minute at most (just to make sure the float level in the carburetor is reached) and before it gets too hot to mess with turn the motor off, go out and look down the throat of the carburetor (eye protection - choke fully open - motor OFF) and pump the gas linkage manually from under the hood while looking down the carburetor. You should see a reasonable amount of fuel getting pumped down the throat of the carburetor. If you don't see it, or it is minimal, then the accelerator pump diaphragm (the one on the drivers side of the carburetor) isn't doing what it's supposed to. Could be a few things if that's the case, but if you see that linkage is operating that diaphragm as well, then a rebuild is in its future. They are pretty simple to rebuild if the core is sound. If it pumps fuel well, then move onto the distributor advance.

Take the distributor cap and rotor off and check to see if the advance diaphragm is functioning. To do this open up the vacuum line leading to the vacuum advance (you have a ~2in. splice of hose just in front of the carburetor on the metal vacuum line that hopefully gives you a suction point). Put a small extended piece of hose on the distributor side of that metal line and while someone is watching the points plate in the distributor suck on the hose leading down to the distributor and see if the points plate moves when you suck on the hose. You should also be able to suck and plug off the line with your tongue and the plate should stay put until you release the vacuum. If you have a hand vacuum pump, you can use that too. If you seem to be able to suck air through that tube, then the diaphragm is bad. If there is a vacuum on the line and the plate doesn't move with suction, see if you can move it by hand but pushing/pulling the little arm on the point plate towards the vacuum diaphragm. It should move easily and may just need some help and then some cleaning/lube to get it freed up.

Alternatively, if all this sounds sucky, you can hook up a timing light with all the vacuum hoses connected and watch the timing mark on the front of the motor as you rev up the motor. The timing marks should move more advanced as you rev up. The Load-O-Matic stuff isn't as easy to check this way, since the engine won't be under any load, but it should move the marks.

Hopefully some part of this made sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 13th, 2020 at 09:59 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"