Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

Major change to my plans, sort of.
    My father in-law has decided to gift me a very nice 302 with about $5k into it. No miles, balanced, blueprinted, ported, and lots more. Kinda hard to pass that up, though far more horsepower than I need. I must tread carefully.
    Now i plan to sell my fox-body Mustang and fully fund a V8 swap for the Falcon! Same goals though, reliability and safety.

I have priced out most of the steering and suspension parts for this new off FalconParts.com Here is what i have so far:
    -‘65 V8 Left and Right Spindles....................................$400 (ouch!)
    -‘63 Adjustable Strut Rods 2ea.....................................$118 (optional, UCA Kit)
    -‘63 Strut Rod Bushings.......................................... .....$50
    -‘65 V8 Under Engine Brace..........................................$70
    -‘65 V8 Manual Steering Center Link.............................$140
    -‘65 V8 Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends 2ea.........................$102
    -‘65 V8 Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves 2ea.............................$19
    -‘65 V8 Idler Arm............................................... ..........$48
    -‘65 V8 Idler Arm Bracket........................................... ...$35
    -‘65 V8 Pitman Arm............................................... .......$68
    -‘65 V8 Front Axle Nut Kits 2ea......................................$22
    -‘65 V8 Right & Left Engine Mount Rubber........................$32
    -‘65 V8 Intermediate Mount Brackets..............................$50
    -65 V8 Aluminum Frame Mounts...................................$140
    -Front Coil Spring Insulators (mine are absolutely shot)....$10

The Scarebird setup will be upgraded to the 15” wheel disc brakes to go on the V8 hubs:
    -Scarebird PNY M30 Kit............................................... .$177
    -‘68 Mustang Rotors............................................ ........$206
    -‘68 Mustang Bearings Inner & Outer..............................$54
    -‘68 Mustang Front Wheel Seals 2ea...............................$15
    -‘79 Eldorado Left & Right Brake Hoses...........................$40
    -‘90 Celebrity Left & Right Calipers.................................$60
    -‘90 Celebrity Brake Pads.............................................. $30
    -‘90 Celebrity Banjo Bolts Front 2ea...............................$15
    -‘74 Maverick Master Cylinder........................................$7 9

Optional (sketchy things I’m not sure of):
    -‘65 V8 Monte Carlo Bar............................................... ..$60
    I may need to see after the motor swap if this will fit.
    -SPC Performance Adjustable Upper Control Arm 94215 w/Adjustable Strut Rod 2ea.........................................$590
    These are listed as fitting a ‘65 Falcon, I believe this is only because of the strut rods and should work with the rest of the ‘65 steering components on a ‘63. I cant find any reviews or evidence of these parts on a Falcon, seems like a roll of the dice.
    I would like to think this is a nice upgrade if I replace the control arms.

Which brings me to my new quandary, should I replace my control arms? The cost of new bushings and ball joints seem to make new but cheap control arms the more cost effective method. It also seems pointless to have all these new components and not refresh them. However, I am concerned about the quality of these affordable control arms. Anyone have some experiences with the new (likely Chinese made) stuff? Should I just buy the expensive name-brand stuff or purchase some adjustable units for roughly the same price?

I’m joining this group to hear the advice of my peers, so please, let me hear all criticism and recommendations. Thanks guys! (Once I get my national club membership confirmed you all will have a very annoying little bro as a new paid member)
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; February 25th, 2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Just realized Mustang Rotors include hubs.
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

That's a big list when you're having to replace everything, but other than shopping around to maybe get the best prices - you gotta do what you gotta do. Been there done that.

As for the questionable things, I've got aftermarket Monte Carlo bar as well as export braces (shock tower braces) on mine and the underbelly bar. Stiffened it up well since I don't have torque boxes, which I "think" 63 hardtops and convertibles got whether a 6 or V8 was installed. Also installed subframe connectors while I was at it. Not sure how the convertible underbody accommodates those. I know you're supposed to have a strength plate between the left and right rear frame rails due to a lack of roof (keeps the car from folding in the middle), but I think it's clear from front to rear outboard of these for subframe connectors.

You can replace bushings and ball joints, but if you get the pricier ones, they're pretty good. I got a set of upper and lower in a massive "selling all my Falcon parts" purchase I did on Craigslist when I was building the Ranchero, but I had to replace them when the rubber in all of the ball joints split out in short order. Best guess is they had been sitting around a long time and the rubber rotted. I bought my new set from National Parts Depot for a 65 Mustang, since everything is the same except the center-link - and Mustang vendors pricing is much better than Falcon parts vendors for the same parts... usually. Far more competition. At the time I did, I also replaced the spring perches with a higher-end version that wasn't the roller bearing type, but wasn't the fixed position type that are most common. One of the most common causes of the "Ford squeak" comes from the spring perch.

A club member out there (shows up every other year or so...) had some adjustable struts he was trying to sell. Not sure why he removed them at this point. Have not looked at the adjustable upper control arms, but will just to keep myself aware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 26th, 2020 at 09:30 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Have you considered the Mustang 2 front suspension? TCI's is about 3K. You remove the existing suspension and weld on a new substructure, components including disk brakes, rack and pinion steering (including power rack) and sway bar. There is significant amount of work but modernizes it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Matt, Redfaken and I recently finished installing inexpensive, no name upper and lower control arms in my 63. I haven’t driven more than ten miles yet (waiting for a shop alignment) but the quality looked fine. My only observation was the paint was very thin and will probably need some attention if it starts to surface rust in the future. I could have prepped and repainted before installation but avoided the “Roger Syndrome” (Scope Creep ... While I’m at it)

I bought them from a club member that went a new direction so I can’t list a source or brand to help.

We did perform the zero cost Arning Drop. Other members have noticed a handling improvement with this. I have Pbrowns template and drill bit, I’m sure he would be willing to loan out if you want to go that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff w View Post
    i could have prepped and repainted before installation but avoided the “roger syndrome” (scope creep ... While i’m at it)
    AKA "The Curse of WIAI™"
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

How's the progress Matt?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Well, my father in-law is a big fan of the Mustang II swap, and he is starting to sway me. I’m a bit concerned about the welding that needs to be accomplished, its quite the undertaking compared to the straight V8 parts swap. But damn, the benefits are huge when coupled with about 400hp.

Right now I’m going to start on assembling the motor and see how that goes. 33593077-FD90-4FAA-8805-F7ACAD9ADB81.jpg
    Any major work will wait until fall starts, and I still need to get the Mustang sold.

I might not get much out of the Falcon this summer though, there is an oil leak getting progressively worse that I’m pretty sure is the rear main seal.
    Matt
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

You know, if I had it to do again - and had the extra funds I usta have (building a garage was expensive) - and knew then where it was heading with a 347/T5 - I'd do something to make more space in there. I've done a lot of finessing to try and get things to clear, but the header clearance is really much tighter now than it [even] was with the 289, and they are the same size block, just different heads. So think long and hard. You have a half-dozen kit choices and seems everyone has their favorite. I've got no real opinion since I can't go there, so have not done the research.

Post pics of the engine build as you go!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Kinda in Roger's position regarding funds and time, and pretty sure that if I could turn back the clock, I'd have opted for a Must II type front end too (which would have improved both ride and handling). Back then, I added new components (control arms, rod ends, orig style wrecking yard discs from a club member, etc.) and added original style PS that I've never been real happy with. Now it's WAY too late and I'm not going there again.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Matt, I am in Port Orchard you are more then welcome to come over to see what progress I have made on my Falcon. I am installing a Mustang II front end and a 4 link rear end. PM me if you are interested.
    Frank

It's a process.

Sorry to be away from the forums for so long. The project is still very much happening, but family events have taken precedent.

I lost my grandmother recently. She was one of those rare people that embodied the concept of unconditional love. I will never forget her knowing smile and straight forward honest response that always belied her true age. She taught me so much about life while taking me berry picking and baking pies. I can still clearly remember her teaching me to drive in her 90s Honda Civic after I had scared my mother out of the task. I loved my grandmother very much and I thank everyone for their understanding

The reason I bring this up is that she left me one final gift. It’s safe to say now that I have no financial restrictions on my project anymore, no reason to hold back. I’d never thought in my life I’d be so moved by money, but here I am.

This falcon will be for grandma.

Cheers mates, here’s to the memory of all those who made us who we are.
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; June 18th, 2020 at 05:55 PM.
    Matt

Sorry for your loss there Matt. I know it is hard... regardless of the occasional inheritance of substance.

I was just having a conversation this weekend at an estate sale company (store front business in Kirkland) prompted from having found an old Plymouth hub cab just like the ones my dad had on his '53 Plymouth Cranbrook. He so badly wanted me to take that car and save it. He'd parked it 20 years before asking me to take it, but (though I looked into it) concluded it would have been a horrific task to restore. They're not exactly packing the junk yards with these. He understood and ended up giving it to a friend of a friend who said he'd bring it back to life. He just didn't get the memo it would be turned into a hot rod. My dad wasn't happy about that. My mom, on the other hand has already signed her 1980 Mercury Capri RS over to me - long before she was no longer able to drive it, but I struggle to figure out what/how/when I will do with it. It's in awesome shape, sitting in her garage, but it's not a highly sought after vehicle. I've been force of late, due to her nearing the need of outside help, to really start thinking about what to do with it when she has to move. Anyway, back to the conversation... We were both lamenting, this store owner and I, why neither of our parents had a 1969 Mach 1 or something to hand down. I offered to her the upside in my case, though; I lost my grand parents a long time ago and my father in the past few years, my mother is still hanging in there. Though none of them had the wherewithal to amass wealth worth passing down, I am who I am today with traits and skills I learned from both of my parents. All my mechanical/electronic/musical skills and talents from my father and artistic/writing abilities from my mother. Both excelled in these, and I'm thankful I have a mere fraction of their talents and abilities.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 19th, 2020 at 12:06 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"