Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 63 Futura 'Vert, It Begins With Many Questions

When I did my convertible it was just that, I fancy shouldered bolt, more fancy washer and a new bush.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Matt,

When you get those bolts out, if you need to replace them and can't find them already made - I have little doubt I could machine you up a pair. I don't think they're hardened since they don't need to be, but if they are, I'll machine them out of something I can harden. So, putting that out there so you can relax a bit on that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Millennial Falcon View Post
    I am eagerly awaiting news from Matt Cox of Vintage Inlines about when i can purchase the new aluminum inline head which should start production any day now.
    You can find a couple of strings on this forum regarding the problems I and/or Roger had with "Freddie". Freddie had the Classic Inlines aluminum head and manifold.
    For the record, crazy as this sounds, I now TRULY believe Freddie's root problem was air "leaching" through the walls of the intake manifold. If you get this setup, SEAL the intake manifold surfaces with either paint, a lot, on the outside, and/or Por-15 gas tank sealant on the inside of the manifold.

Good luck!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Thanks Roger, i really appreciate the offer!

I feel like i should address the rear end while im at it. Yes i know, scope creep.

My issue is the grooves in the backing plate. I cant find info on what the dimensions should be for those pads, and they cant be weld fixed in place. I tried to smooth them out but am now concerned i may have changed height and angled the surface slightly with my 'fix'. This seems like a lot of work to go through for a rear end that may be very worn out anyway.

Ive heard rumors of a Maverick 8in 4-lug rear end that exists, should i start hunting for one of those? Ive also heard rumors that parts for my current rear end are impossible to get. On top of that, if i switch from auto to T5 i would want to switch to the 2.79 gearing right?

I need your mentorship Roger, what would you do?
    Matt
    '63 Falcon Futura Convertible 170ci Special C4 Auto
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

Matt,

There is very little available for the 7 1/4" Falcon rear-end on parts shelves. There are a lot of them out there because they get swapped out a lot, but age and wear would be possible with them as well.

We've (almost) all done a Maverick rear-end swap, I think. Way more parts and pieces available for it than the Falcon rear-end. They're out there and most will be 2.79 open gears when you find them. Whether that's what you'll want to keep is iffy. Even with my 5 speed and a V8 I appreciate the slightly lower rear gear. Way more pep and go. Mid 3's (I have 3.45 and like them). 2.79's were when there wasn't many cars with overdrive and they also wanted maximum freeway speed versus engine RPM for fuel economy. The 5-speed offers the overdrive. So, based upon your goal, I think this is the direction to go. You can always swap the 3rd member later if you can find a rear end still. If you stick with a C4, 2.79 would be a good choice, but it'll still be a slug around town.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    When I did my convertible it was just that, I fancy shouldered bolt, more fancy washer and a new bush.
    So Jeff, do you think i could get away with buying the standard shackle and having Roger work his magic?
    I guess im asking what exactly needed modification, what parts should i start with and then modify?

As for the rest of the project, the more i look into it i think i will go with Eaton springs despite the cost. i would rather get the spring rate correct so that the shocks match and this all turns out like i expect. Any deviation from stock seems to bring unintended consequences that i wont enjoy much, and would require a more well thought out plan for specific performance gains.

That thought goes out the window of course with the Street or Track front suspension because i am telling myself that the kit will eliminate the re-engineering and decision making on my part. Stay tuned i suppose, it should be good for a laugh if anything!
    Last edited by Millennial Falcon; May 13th, 2021 at 09:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Matt
    "Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me baby? Hold together." -Han Solo

What is the narrowest you can build the 8 inch? Im trying to get an idea of how much clearance i can gain for the rear wheels.

I could also use some recommendations for who to take the rear end to for this. I've noticed that 4-lug axles for the 8 inch don't seem to be available, so i imagine shortening up the rear end will not be easy or cheap. If anyone has experience with this project please let me know how things went.

I am in the market for a 4-lug 8 inch rear end in case anyone spots one!
    Matt

Hi Matt, sadly it was 10 years ago and I don’t remember what the bolt looked like. I was able to purchase it from one of the normal Falcon suppliers.
    I found my 4-lug 8” rear at Pick-n-pull in Lynnwood. I think it is 3/4” wider than the little stock guy but people have had luck installing as is. I need to get it clean and painted for installation later this summer. I plan on swapping the backing plates from my wagon as they allow wider shoes. It is the 2.79:1 ratio.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Here is the end of this thread, I'm calling it quits already.

No matter how many times i play it out in my head, i just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on this project. Its a tremendous amount of money for me to spend only to feel like I'm halfway there. I simply do not have the garage space to do this work now that my father-in-laws shop is not an option and my back cant really handle the heavy stuff anymore.

I did some soul searching while on vacation and admitted to myself that this will never be a good hobby. Its a job that i either finish or it never drives again. I simply refuse to put myself in a position like that with something i love.

This realization has me feeling quite depressed and I haven't so much as looked at the thing in weeks.

I promise that when the time comes i will sell her to someone that cares and not let it rot in my garage.
    Matt

(Ignore the question marks…not sure why my iPad keeps doing that.)
    Sorry to hear that Matt. I do think most people can easily spend much more than they originally thought in both time and money and it can easily add up. I just looked at mine kind of like a car payment with some spikes in it, but at times it was painful. I probably couldn?t have done it if I had other car payments at the time. And, having a place to work on it is definitely key.
    I had an internet business on the side once.it was a grand idea, but bottom line was that I was spending a lot every month as well as time late into the night every day and ultimately found that to really make I would have had to put everything at risk, and in the end I called it quits. It still hurts to think about it, but it was the right decision.
    On the other hand, when I first started my car and really started to get into it like you have, I went through a lot and had a lot of frustrations. One thing Jeff said to me one time really stuck. There are no real deadlines in this? (or something like that) He was right. I started to slow down a bit and enjoy the process more and spread out the spending a bit more and eliminated the frustration.
    I also couldn?t have done what I did without this club. I had so much help. One day with a few people from the club helping got more done than I could in six months by myself, and that happened several times. Don’t underestimate that part. My car was also my grandfathers and I had a history with it. If I didn?t, I don’t think I would have finished.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Well this is embarrassing. Time to give an update on the project I quit on.

Spent many days rereading the inline six book by Cox and Mauer, poring over the old info posts by Classic Inlines, and using online calculators of various kinds. I've gone deep into the weeds with every forum post related to my endeavors and come away far more knowledgeable. I've shopped for and located all the things I hadn't thought of before. I feel ready, but my trigger finger keeps shaking anyway.

The 170 will be replaced with a rebuilt 200 and C4 from a 68 mustang using an '80 200 large log head, all three already in hand and on stand. The head will be milled to get the combustion chambers to 52cc after I match the chambers and clean up the ports and casting as much as possible. All of this hinges on a good magnaflux that I should have done soon.

I have plans to add oversized exhaust valves to the list if I can find the 144ci intake valves. I haven't been looking long, so hopefully they show up soon.

Cam will be the Clay Smith 256/256 110 coupled with the stock 1:1.52 rocker arms. This should be a nice low rpm power band and comfortable ride on the highway with a 2.89 thereabouts rear end. You can’t have everything with your set up and that’s as close as I can come to making it a reasonably good driver and just a touch fun.

Block will be magnafluxed also, but less worried about that one. If it passes and isn't bored over 0.060" already I should be good to go for the zero decking, balancing, new flat top pistons, and ARP fasteners.

I have a gold Holley Sniper 1100 unit with the matching hyperspark distributor, (blue finish, if you care) ignition box, and fuel tank with pump ready to go.

I plan to buy the double timing chain assembly from V.I. Even though the things I read about it make me nervous. Hoping I can make it work.

I am also buying the Scott Drake dual outlet header and hoping the RobbMc 3001 mini starter can allow a good fit if it causes trouble. It should be an enlightening experience. Install with stage 8 locking bolts planned.

I will use the Champion EC251-6 aluminum radiator with a recovery tank. Seems like a good solution for avoiding an electric fan and improving cooling. This will be coupled with a high flow water pump.

Because I am still only human I picked out a few goodies like billet thermostat housing, billet water pump pulley, a polished Powermaster retro 1G 75 amp alternator, and a mustang Sprint 200 air cleaner remake. The engine will be finished in the correct Ford blue with the original valve cover in blue also and the raised lettering stenciled in gold. I'm trying to come up with another hit of gold but I just can't decide. Anyone else with a flair for the sorta flashy?

I tell myself I am waiting to pull the trigger when the head passes magnaflux. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Millennial Falcon; January 27th, 2024 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Almost forgot the cam!
    Matt

Sounds like it should be a good build. Built a very similar setup last year for and with Jeff for his wagon. He managed to find probably the last, or so it seems, 8" 4-lug rear end and we put that in along with him upgrading to 14" wheels and tires. We had a bit of fun along the way with all the issues I found others had done or things I found wasn't quite right along the way. He went with a Weber 2-barrel instead of fuel injection, which wasn't without a hurdle or three. There were many unexpected and often unprofessional issues we dealt with, so hope you have better luck. He's happy with it, so that's really all that matters.

So, are you building the motor or is someone else building it to your specs?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 27th, 2024 at 11:50 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"