Thread: Inside 62 Ranchero Steering Column

Inside 62 Ranchero Steering Column

Can someone tell me what part I'm missing here??...ust started working on a long list of things this new project needs, and those dogs need to ride on something to "hold" the parking lever at right or left through the turn?

But the part was missing, so I don't know what I'm looking for??

Thanks for any help!

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

It should hold due to a cam section on the very edge of the turn signal switch, which is below that shiny upper plate. It is held in place until the part mounted up under the steering wheel hits either of the little spring loaded parts and pushes it back to center. So, from this picture, I can't see anything broken or wore out below that shiny round part out on the very edge just past the switch. Attached is a picture of a new switch and you can see at the up/down/up plastic part the end of the shiny part rides up and down on. Yours might just be so worn it can't hold anything in place.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    It should hold due to a cam section on the very edge of the turn signal switch, which is below that shiny upper plate. It is held in place until the part mounted up under the steering wheel hits either of the little spring loaded parts and pushes it back to center. So, from this picture, I can't see anything broken or wore out below that shiny round part out on the very edge just past the switch. Attached is a picture of a new switch and you can see at the up/down/up plastic part the end of the shiny part rides up and down on. Yours might just be so worn it can't hold anything in place.
    Ahhhh....so the resistance that's required to hold the lever in place during the turn or sitting at a light, for instance is actually in the switch itself? That was what I was missing! Sounds like a new switch is in order. Can you tell me what supplier offered up the picture you used? Someone must seek those? Thanks a bunch

Well, it's a part of the switch anyway. The internals of the switch have no friction, but that dimpled portion of the shiny metal part rides on the part of the switch that does. See that little c-clip on the shaft? I think that is supposed to have a spring under it to provide downward tension against the clip and the shiny part.

Any Falcon vendors will have the switch. FalconPartDOTcom; Melvin Classic Ford Parts; etc. I usually price check all of them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Well, there is a good chance that when I pulled that c-clip off, the spring may have jumped out and I missed it..I've already ordered a new switch for the heck of it, and will find a small spring and new clip to use when I put it back together. Actually may do that now, just to satisfy myself! Keep the new switch as a spare for later!

The spring may just be too weak as well. You can often pull on it to stretch it a bit.

Pay close attention to this spot on the switch, which is where the shiny plate rides and with downward spring tension should be enough to hold the plate in one of the valleys of this (there are 3 valleys - center, left turn, right turn). Just to make sure it's out there... the install is: switch, plate, spring, then clip. That clip is special to entrap the spring.

Good luck!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"