Thread: Ford AOD Transmission Installation

Ford AOD Transmission Installation

The mods to my car are going to include the installation of an AOD. I test fitted the AOD today. It looks like it fits with little or no modifications, I won't know for sure until the engine and trans are installed as an assembly. The car history is that it was delivered with a 4 speed from the factory and the previous owner changed it to a C4 transmission.

Since the C4 swap was done it had an aftermarket transmission mount. Research found the AOD mount is 2" further back then the C4. I was able to re-drill the transmission cross member about 1 3/4" further back before the mount interfered with the cross member. Also the front of the cross member had to be shortened several inches to clear the back of the AOD. Where the speedometer cable attached to the AOD may need to be worked a little.

The pictures show the AOD in position under the car level to the frame with the cross member and trans mount installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a process.

Looking good; for sure, things will prove themselves when the motor goes in. If you had a bare block that would make test fit easier. Looks like you might be able to get the speedo cable in with the mount out and then install the mount after.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I got the new engine and AOD installed today (second attempt). The AOD is a very tight fit at the transmission mount and frame. The passenger side hits the frame reinforcement and there is only about 1/4” on the drivers side. I decided to modify the cross member to lower the transmission about 3/4” so that I would not have to modify the frame. When complete I should be able to center the transmission so there is a gap on both sides. I don't think lowing the transmission will be a problem because the exhaust is like be lower.

Here are the mods.

There is a protrusion on the one side of the transmission mount, that was cut off so it would not hit the rear of the transmission when installed. That was done in hopes that less material would be need to be removed from the forward side of the cross member. The problem was the tail shaft hits the forward side of the cross member. So more modifications were needed.

Because the transmission mount is 2" further back then the C$ mount, the cross member mounting holes were drilled and slotted 2 inches further back. Then front of the cross member was cut to move the mount back, this required removing a substantial amount of material. Once the mount was moved back on the cross member things were fitting better.

To lower the cross member I welded tabs to the top of the it, then cut them back and drilled new mounting holes. You can see how far it was lowered in the picture looking forward.

The brake and fuel lines run between the transmission and frame. I plan on moving them down a couple of inches where there is more room.

With the current modifications to the cross member the speedometer cable will exit between the sides of it.

The cross member need some reinforcement and cleaning up but the fitting is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a process.

Hopefully the driveline angles are within tolerance when you get it all together. I had done something similar and had a vibration that turn out to be this. Got an pp on my phone provided by Tremec that lets you check this with your phone. Hopefully you'll be OK. The motor looks great!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"