Thread: My introduction

My introduction

I guess I should introduce myself. I was looking for a 1964 Sprint convertible for years when 3 years ago, by chance, I came across a listing on Craig's list. The car was way out in the wilderness northeast of Snohomish and in moderately rough shape. The paint was terrible, tires bald, and suspension and steering very bad - drove it home to Snoqualmie in the snow. Next was a complete paint job, down to bare metal, little rust! New TCI suspension front and rear, Wilwood brakes with hydroboost, 9" rear, and a new fuel injected Dart 363. A bunch of other new things such as glass and chrome plating, radiator, gas tank, etc. Took out the 4 speed toploader and put in a C4 because of the wife. Just got it sorted late last season. My other cars include a 1955 Chev BelAir 2 door hardtop with modern stuff like the Falcon, and a 1934 Ford PU with a 331 and T5.
    Dave

Sounds like a great herd o'cars (and a pickup). Thanks for the intro and hopefully we'll all be meeting face to face in our lifetime and see the Falcon too.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I also hope to see it in person when all this craziness is over. Welcome.

Hi Dave, Steve here. I saw that you put a TCI front end in your Sprint. I have been looking at them online for a while, they are actually built in Ontario, CA just a few miles from where I used to live. In the old days the 1970's Hooker Headers was also located on Brooks Street in Ontario, CA. They may actually be in the same building. I'd appreciate any info good or bad and how the install went.

Thanks, Steve Kunick

Hi Steve - The TCI website gives you lots of info, but what they don't say is that the springs are really stiff. I mean really stiff. They are 500 lb. springs but actually test at 550. I complained and they sent 400lb. ones [actually 450lbs.] but haven't put them in yet. With the rack and pinion, you have to use a rear sump oil pan like for a Cobra. I used Doug's headers [tri-y] and they fit fine. With the stronger springs, I took a number of rides last fall and the car cornered like a Corvette - but I also had the TCI rear, so I don't know how much that had to do with it. Would I do it again? I wanted to put a 427 in the front so I figured I needed more width. The 427 has a taller deck and would need a bulge or scoop in the hood, which I didn't want, so my engine is a short deck like any 289, 302,331,or 347. Mine is an aftermarket block being a 363, but still a short deck. So - I probably wouldn't do it - just fix up the existing front suspension. Dave

You just saved me a bunch of $$$ that I’ll now be able to put somewhere else. I really appreciate the straight dope.

Glad I could be of help. As I mentioned before, my car had a terrible front suspension and steering when purchased. I first installed a CPP front end kit that built off a stock suspension, but improved. It had rack and pinion and regular [as in Chevys, etc.] upper and lower control arms. It was fairly good, but I wanted more. So then I went for the TCI setup like so many hot rods have [including mine]. Maybe they just don't sell enough of them to have it fully sorted. I ran the Falcon the other day and like I said, it is a firm ride! Dave