Thread: Building a new sand blast cabinet soon.

Building a new sand blast cabinet soon.

Just wanted to start a post on my upcoming project. This last Christmas I picked up a new Harbor Freight blast cabinet to replace the one I sold-off when I moved from my northern estate. I didn't want to mess with my old one (wasn't really old, per se, but it leaked sand like a sieve), so I sold it off and planned to build a new one once the garage was built with attention paid to sealing it up really well.

As I've been getting the garage setup the (still sealed) cabinet I bought kept getting closer and closer to the top of the list so I started researching what others have done out there to seal their HF blast cabinets... and OMG, there's a vast group of folks upgrading them and there is even a company (The Tacoma Company, started in WA, but now in Idaho) who makes a host of products designed to turn a $150 HF blast cabinet into a $5000-equivalent blast cabinet for about $700 more. As much as I use one of these I was very intrigued, so after watching a ton of YouTube videos I called and had a very long chat with the owner to get some clarity on a few things. I've got some stuff on order, but in the current "viral climate" he is running things with a skeleton crew (he and his wife); but I'm in the queue to get some new bits to build this cabinet. May be a few weeks, but I doubt we'll be doing much else for a while besides waiting for stuff.

Stay tuned.

If interested, check out the series of You Tube videos put out by "Ray's Garage" on the modifications this company makes for Harbor Freight cabinets.

https://youtu.be/A1dyE3bBG3Y
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Interesting project - looking forward to photos.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Well - until he can ship me the bits and pieces I need to finish it once I start - this is the picture I have so far. He's having issues with his production due to Covid-19 as well.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Last year I bought a used blasting unit that was made out of plywood. It works remarkable well. It turns out it was a kit and the company is still around for parts. The first blast media I got was from Harbor Freight. I worked OK but had a lot of dust and once you started blasting you could not see the part. The next blast media I got was from Tractor Supply. It was way better and cheaper with very little dust and it was $10 for a 50# bag.

It's a process.

How goes the blast cabinet mods? I finally replaced the worn out gloves on my Summit Cabinet with some made in the US... I think Tacoma. The Summit Cabinet is a cheap knock off of the Harbor Freight model, hard to believe there is a crappier version out there.

I need a new gun and feeder unit so I am curious about your results.

I convinced Tacoma Co to ship me the special screws they made for this, at least. Will get me going somewhat. The rest is on a very long back order because Tacoma Co moved to Hope, ID and was simultaneously slammed with [both the move] and the effects of Covid19 staff and supply-line cuts. Just received a "bulk" email from them thanking us all for our patience and to keep the faith; "things will be back to normal for them soon."

For what it's worth, all that they propose can [sort of] be done on the cheap. Plenty of YouTube videos showing how to make DIY improvements to the HF cabinet, hopper, and gun to make it much better than stock HF stuff was.

I have the screws and am working to unpackage and sort through the bits now. Pretty much following "Ray's Garage" YouTube videos on the build as I move forward. At some point it will just sit, unfinished, until Tacoma Co sends me the rest.

Of course I keep getting distracted, feeling like a dog sometimes... when someone says "SQUIRREL!"
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

It's taken a few months, but when I got home from closing up my mom's estate I had a package waiting for me when I returned. I will confirm what I read - the quality of these parts is up there. Now I need to get busy and get it built. So many things to do, so little time.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"