Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next for a shop

Next for a shop

I loved watching Roger's shop thread so figured I'd start one of my own. Of course, this Covid-19 thing has ceased the beginning of the project.

Some background - we moved to a new place in October to downsize among other things. I had a shared shop in that location that was fantastic and included my office (I have worked from home since 2004). The loss of that shop was a tough thing but my wife agreed we would need to build one at the new place. It needs to house the bicycle collection, my Falcon, my office and a batting cage for my daughter (she said she'd take the smaller bedroom at this house if she could have a batting cage). No problem with that in my mind as she has a goal of playing college softball.

I decided I really didn't want to go with a pole barn and would rather have a stick built structure. I found a local contractor who was planning to move to Colorado who had shop plans for his property that he decided not to build. It also included all the trusses as he had had them built and delivered to his property. It was going to have a studio apartment in it. I redid the floor plan to make the studio my office, add a small store room for my wife and submitted the plans to the county on December 9, 2019. I was expecting about 6-8 weeks.

Week 7 I get a an email from the county that they wanted the revisions I made actually on the plan and the location of the propane heat identified. They also wanted a foundation plan which I had never received with the original set. I went to the original architect in Yakima for the changes and took the revised plans into the building department. 3 weeks later (after a lot of pestering on my part) my wife finally picked up the permit on the Friday before the county shut the department and the stay at home orders came about.

Funny story about the guy I bought the plans and trusses from. He's a car guy and really took an interest in my Falcon. He had an old Jeep and Dodge pickup. A month or so had gone by and he was delivering the trusses to our new place and he says "I bought a Falcon". He saw m surprised look. He had seen an add for a 64 Ranchero here in eastern WA and traded his Jeep for it. He loves the Ranchero and worked on it over the winter with his son. When he finally moves to Colorado he's planning on joining the Falcon chapter there. His dad has a little hot rod shop here so he'll get it painted in trade for some work and I'm sure it will be really nice.

Photos attached - the area where the shop will go, the plans and the ever precious permit. Just hoping things get started again soon so I can move my office into it.

Shop is going in just past the fence - measures 36' X 48'

The permit is in hand!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

This is going to be a nice shop! I need to update my thread with some current pictures of stuffing it to the gills. Worked inside the house on a room I stored a bunch of boxes in - that I thought all the boxes for the garage were removed from already - and ended up finding another half-dozen boxes of things I now need space for. But where? Wish it was the size of the original plan I had, but in Seattle the permitting is hair pulling, so I relented and went to a size allowing it to be built in this decade. Anyway, looking forward to seeing yours go up!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Got a call from the guy I bought the plans from today after the governor's press conference. The plan is to mark off for the foundation on Monday morning and the excavation company will be here Tuesday to start digging.
    Scott Zimmerman

That's awesome news Scott. I understand some of the need to avoid face-to-face sort of thing, but it's good to see some loosening to the point where you can build things again. Pictures as they go please? We all need something to do, even if it's watching others get things done.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

The official lines are painted. Excavation in the morning.
    SAM_0002.jpg
    Scott Zimmerman

Excavator showed up at 7:30 this morning. What a cool machine - would be fun to use at some point.

He was at it for 3.5 hrs or so but it looks good. Foundation forms go in tomorrow and inspection for that on Thursday.

Looking east

Looking north

I was afraid this was going to happen. The creek behind us is way up due to spring melt in the mountains. That's created a high water table situation. I'll be looking at installing a French drain on the east side of the foundation.

Scott Zimmerman

Things are moving at a good pace. Foundation footings were poured on Monday and foundation walls go in this afternoon. Then we have the back filling and slab and we're ready for framing. The contractor is supposed to have another job starting on the 15th but it's confident it will so he's pushing through with this. A little bittersweet since it was supposed to be his shop.

The surface water has been a challenge. I had a neighbor dig out a relief trench on Friday evening with the thought of doing a french drain. He went a little deep so the outlet may be an issue. However, it helped drain the water from the footing forms. I pumped that ditch a couple of times a day over the weekend to keep the foundation trench clear of standing water as much as possible.

There's 20" of drop from the north (far side) to south walls in just 48 feet

Scott Zimmerman

Don't leave us hanging Scott - any walls going up yet?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"