Thread: Steering Shaft Hack on 64 Sprint

Steering Shaft Hack on 64 Sprint

I was wondering if anyone has ever cut the existing steering shaft that is one piece from the box to the steering wheel and installed a rag joint? I realize I’d have to take out a short piece of the shaft to allow for the length of the rag joint and modify each end to accept it but what kind of bearing or bushing am I going to have to install at the lower end of the steering column to keep everything lined up correctly. I’ve got a 64 Sprint that I’m going to get the steering box rebuilt on.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

It's doable, but you ought just get a different box with stubbed/splined input. If you cut the stock shaft just for a rag joint, you'll have to have both sides cut with double-D and get the correct rag joint. But if it's for safety, like for a collapsing sort of thing, it won't give you much.

I'm seriously considering (again) doing EPS and this creates a split between box and column where the EPS is sandwiched in-between. Most give you a good 6" collapse as part of the EPS unit parts. I'd originally tried using a Saturn Vue unit, but it wouldn't fit under the Falcon because the control unit was attached. There are a host of others and some YouTube videos now showing Falcon installs with a Prius EPS (if I recall correctly).
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here is what I did when installing Mustang 2 front suspension. I built a steering column support that replaced the rubber gasket. I traced the gasket mounting clamp on some sheet metal. My the firewall is not flat so put a jog in the column support to match the firewall. The trick was cutting the oblong hole in the column support. I used a hole saw to cut a “donut” out of a 2x4 the same size as the steering column OD with a 1” hold in the middle. I slid the donut down the shaft and marked both sides of the column support, this allowed me to create the oblong hole in the column support. I took the steering column to the auto parts store and found a exhaust coupler (2” id?) that fit over the column. With the coupler on the steering column I slid the assembly in to the oblong hole in the column support. I cut the oblong hole small so I kept trimming the support until the coupler slid through the oblong hole with everything aligned. Once aligned the coupler was welded to the support. First tacked in place on both sides, then removed and welded. This was all done before I cut the steering shaft off the box. Once steering column support was complete I cut the steering shaft. Mustang Steve makes a bearing that fits the steering column and shaft. A friend double "D" the shaft for the u Joint. Here are the pictures, some are not in the correct orientation.

Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a process.

I like how you created a bearing mount as a solid plate in the floor to replace the split plate. Nice work. You got me brainstorming changes and as folks around here know, that's dangerous because of the dreaded WIAI™!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"