Thread: New Bench Vise!

New Bench Vise!

So, although I have in my possession about 10 bench vises, none are good enough for what I wanted (though a couple are really collectible and will get sold at some point) I've been looking at this vise for about a year and finally decided to get it and see if I like it. I like it. A couple reviews indicated changing the jaw screws - and can see why, and so I did - but the rest is pretty nice. You can flip the vise body around to get up to almost a 12" opening. Great for doing U-joints!

Just showing off. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 24th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Where did you get it Roger? I'll be looking to add a larger vise in a couple of months.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

It's a Yost "reversible" vise and I got it off Amazon. Not too costly either - even with the extra $1.79 worth of jaw screws from Tacoma Screw.

There is only one thing about it I'm not a fan of, as I studied it a bit more, compared to other vises I have, the back jaw is below the vise casting, which makes it hard to use the back jaw as a file line. I bought a bit of aluminum angle to make some soft jaws for it, so we'll see how that works for the same thing.

yostjaw.jpg

I have a couple other "big vises" (old) I'm going to someday restore and sell, but neither have the opening I wanted.

2020-05-24 16.07.23.jpg

I had a vise on my workbench on my old job I just loved. Still kicking myself when they sold all the equipment at auction I didn't buy it - but would have needed to buy the entire workbench to get it... it sold for $30! Could have got $30 in scrap steel for the bench and been ahead! I tried looking for something similar for over a year, but couldn't find it. Can't recall the brand to even start the look, though I think it was a Jet brand Vise. It opened about 8" which was plenty for doing U-joints, etc. Did many over my 37 years there.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"