Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '62 Falcon Refresh

'62 Falcon Refresh

Say hi to Bob. Our 62 Falcon! with a 144 and 3 on the tree. We have owned him about 6 years. Runs pretty good but leaks everywhere. Compression is ok, so although I would love to rebuild the motor, I have to save money and go the seal and detail route. Rear main, and everything else I can seal without pulling the heads. Engine came out today. Time to start cleaning!!20201018_114459.jpg20201018_114442.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dkutz; October 24th, 2020 at 04:40 PM.

Sweet ride. You don't see a lot with the deluxe trim piece on the lower quarter panel. My old 61 Starliner had that.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Just a quick update. Things are moving along. So far the rear main Seal was replaced and all the valve seals are replaced. Purchased a new water pump and timing chain that need to go in soon. Then its more painting and detailing. This is one dirty bird, 60 years of oil leaks have not been kind. still have most of the engine bay to strip and paint. Hopefully around Thanksgiving he will be back up and running.

Question. I pulled the motor and left the tranny in. What is the best way to reinstall? Motor mounts on engine, or line up engine and trans first.then install motor mounts?

I assume this is a 2.77 3-speed and weighs nearly nothing. Easy to lift and install. Drop the transmission out of the way. Check all the mounts for wear, etc. Drop the motor on the mounts (nuts loose enough to allow the motor to shift around a bit, for now), support the rear of the motor as you install the flywheel, clutch assy., then the bell housing and Z-bar assy (make sure these bushings are good, and lubed, too). Once these are on - the back of the engine will actually be heaviest and you can leave the jack under the rear of the pan (protect that fresh paint!) and slip the transmission back in and get it tightened up. Reinstall the rear mount and drive-line and you're nearly done. I've done this by myself more times than I can recall.

Good work on the project! Good to see cars being worked on.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Bummer I was hoping to install without pulling trans.

You could try, but I can almost guarantee you will be done 10-times faster, maybe more, doing it as suggested. Getting the input shaft through the clutch assy using the motor as the lever/angle finder having to rotate either the motor or the transmission to align the splines... is a tall order. Besides, you really should look at the condition of the rear mount parts and u-joints, etc.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

got the timing chain swapped today. Other than a very stubborn balancer bolt, all went well, lots of cleaning. Got it all buttoned up. Now I might finish the front of motor with new water pump and thermostat, and button all that up. Nice when it starts to come back together.

B66399AC-76DD-465D-80CC-FCEA7ABD2485.jpeg0F88F0A3-3CC2-424A-A90C-876321B625BB.jpeg

does anyone sell the correct spring for the carb throttle return?

Looking good! That chain was looking a little sloppy. Always a good call to replace it - while you're at it.

I'm not sure if a spring replacement is made, but I suggest checking Melvin's or one of the other Falcon vendors. The return spring was odd on these 6's; it hooked to the throttle shaft and then hooked over the end of the intake log, so it's a pretty long spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"