Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '62 Falcon Refresh

We feel ya...
    I think if I were to go back and read my threads... the number of went down over time...as I seemed to just expect the setbacks, enjoy the challenges and I always knew the club was there to share them with - with no judgement and usually help if needed- in my case mostly just rookie mistakes on my part.
    It’s all part of the journey. Most everything takes twice as long as it should. I think I had one door panel off five times.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Latest video update, engine install, and some of my obstacles. Hopefully it will be back in road this week!
    https://youtu.be/mk7DlYAHCeQ

https://youtu.be/mk7DlYAHCeQ

Looking really good! Great to see it coming together.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Surprised to find a Holley 1940 carb on Bob. I assume it’s a replacement at some point. Should I take the time to find the 1909 or what ever the correct carb is?

It’s alive!!! Bob fired right up without a hitch. Slight lifter tick, but that will be adjusted. Biggest issues were...couldn’t get into 1st gear or reverse, from a standstill. Maybe frustrating tries later, finally realized the dust boot was preventing the throw out fork from fully extending, no, boot, and it shifts great.

next issue was an oil leak, from what I feared, was the rear main. After calming down, I think it’s the rear oil pan seal, the rubber one. It didn’t really sit well in the block when I installed, thought it would be ok. Guess not. Xmas vacation project.

Cool and bummer both. At least it's not impossible to pull the pan on these with the motor in. Drop the idler arm to get the drag link to fall away and the pan pretty much free and clear.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I just read your thread. Very recognizable.
    I struggled with a cracked block. Took the engine out 3 times, before we noticed the tiny rust trail...

Uncertain if this is against forum rules, if so please remove mods:
    I found the inline six forum very good for timing and other engine related stuff. The old classic inlines website had tons of tech info, including how to set youre valves, the tech section was carried over to the new website of the new owner (https://fordsix.com/ci/Tech.html).

Good luck,

Rinke

Quote Originally Posted by dkutz View Post
    Roger, this is a late 62, and was painted black from the factory.
    I thought the black only started in 64? Learn something new here. My 62 Ranchero was built early (06K) and is Ming Green under the hood but someone had repainted it and repainted the rad support. I scraped that off carefully. I can tell the rad support's original paint was a semi gloss black but but can't tell where the black from the rad support ends and is supposed to meet the Ming Green. Not sure if i resprayed it far enough here.
    IMG_8728.jpg

Dieter,

Here's a carb I'm thinking would be a nice add to your setup, with the correct vacuum advance "spark control" setup and a manual choke like you have. Won't be too big for the 144 either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Well, here it is. Came out pretty nice. Will follow up on a PM as well.

This is the first manual choke version of these I've done and the interesting bit is the idle screw. It is the same one that rides on the choke cam, so make sure when you set up the choke it operates smoothly to fully retract when you push in on the choke cable. Probably would set it up so when you attach the choke cable so there is still a little bit of push on the choke knob left so you know it's bottomed out on the carb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"