Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: I have to start somewhere

Well, that's a bummer. Maybe Matt will confirm this if he goes there this weekend. Or soon.

I think the guy who posts on Craigslist all the time may have a fender, wherever Elkhorn Plain is - or whatever the place is called. I think that it's between Tacoma and Mt Rainier somewhere.

Ultimately you can cut the fender and make a flat flange mud flap like thing. I have a pair of Ranchero rear fenders I kept, The flares (stock shape) are not too bad. You'd for sure have to have deep tubs and probably still a means to lower the axle to get the wheels and tires off.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I have spent the last 5 days talking to the rear suspension companies about my Falcon. I talked to Jegs, Summit, Heidts, TCI and others. I told them what I am building and so far unless I want to spend several thousands their systems are not meant for drag racing. They are all involved in road racing or drifting. I almost bought the system from TCI until I asked them about their crazy cost of their shocks at $800. They finally admitted that their system would not support hard launches with slicks on a sticky drag strip. Heidts was up front and said theirs wasn't meant for hard drag racing. BUT, all the companies said they sold systems for $5,000-7,000.
    I am not going to spend that on my car that I might drag race a few times. Wouldn't be prudent. So, unless I get some great revelation, I am going to do what I did with my 64. Go with new leaf springs, Cal Track traction bars, 9" housing with posi-trac. My brother has a new center section with 4:56 gears for sale. Might be a little to low, but???
    That may not be the best for drag racing but I can't afford to spend that much on the rear end when I need a bunch more for the engine/tranny.
    As always, please, feedback and ideas. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry,

Add subframe connectors and a few added plates here and there to increase stiffness and build it old school. I bet you can get away with as much as they did in the 60's with these. They were building gassers long before a TCI existed.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Waiting on wheels to get here from Summit. Called them yesterday after receiving an email showing that part of my order has shipped on 5/21. I wanted to get a tracking number and they said the order for the front wheels and lug nuts would be here the week of 6/7. Which, I didn't know what "week of" meant, so they explained "any time during that week".
    I am pretty patient, but when I heard that I asked where the parts were coming "from". Phoenix was the answer.
    A little perturbed I said pony express could get the parts to me from Phoenix quicker than that!!!!
    She apologized and said it was Covid that was causing the delay???? She got a little upset when I asked why?? Did they not want to get within 6 feet of me???
    Guess it doesn't matter, the rear wheels won't ship until the week of 6/27. Great. Oh well, got a lot of other things to keep me busy.

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I have the four link from Heidt.The mount are mounted to the inside of the frame rails for more tire clearance. It is plenty strong enough for what you plan.It has four links with a tracking bar.I'm running a 4.11 nine inch with Nitti 555 Rs. It hooks hard and goes stright with no problems.Gets no wheel hop at all.I think if you make a new cross member to mount the upper control arms , you would gain a lot of clearance. My car has the stock inter wheel wells.If you like I will crawl under and get a few photos.GTA Roger
    Last edited by gtaroger; May 26th, 2021 at 03:00 PM.

When I talked to Heidts they didn't think their system would support 450-500 HP with slicks on a sticky drag surface. I liked the system and started to purchase it until they told me that. What horse power are you rated at? I do think I would have enough clearance after removing the leaf springs with the Heidts. Just not sure of strength. What type of springs came with your system? Yeah pictures from underneath would be great. Thanks for the infor. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

If there's a weak part in the set up it's the control arms. You could make up a stronger set pretty cheap. the mounting brackets are plenty strong enough.Some chromoly control arms and solid bushings.

From what I 've been told by the engine builder it's close to 400 hp

That is great information and thanks very much. I will be looking at the Heidts again. I used Heidts on my 64 for the front suspension and loved how it performed. I will see if they might even offer different strength. Thanks again. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker