Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to start somewhere

Almost sounds too good to be true. Gave them a call and left a message. Hope they call back with some information. Thanks Roger
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

In 1973 my cousin had a 63 Falcon that looked like a gasser. It had the stright front axle. The axle was from a econoline that was cut in half and a section removed. It had a 9 inch rear axle with a 4.56 gear.Rear wheel wells were opened up and ran L-60-15 tires on the rear and front runners on the front.The engine was a early 289 warmed over a bit and a T10 trans. That was his daily driver . He even drove it through the winters.I drove it once,that was the scariest driving car I have ever driven.It had a very small steering wheel and it was all over the road. When he drove it ,you would never have known. I've had very good luck with DDS parts. I have a SVT Boss 302 block with DSS forged crank,rods and pistons.Spin it up to 6500 rpms ,never a problem.Roger

Thanks to our president Roger, in locating a good 63 2 door hardtop, I am now the proud owner of this little Falcon. It is in Michigan and will be shipping it to me after the first of the year. Thanks Roger. Hope these couple of photos work. Larry63 .jpg63 falcon.jpg
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Lord, I pray Larry is still thankful when this little Falcon arrives. Amen

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Now that is funny. LOL. Roger, this car is definitely in better shape then the 64 I built. I just never got to post all the BEFORE pictures of it. The seller tells me that this car is in very good condition. It has a 289, (not running) 4 speed transmission, (not installed). Mustang bucket seats and original Falcon bucket seats with the car. It has the console. It was a vinyl roof car, vinyl removed upon storage to prevent rust. Windshield is cracked. It comes with the windshield and back window trim along with roof rail trim. He sent other pictures that shows minimal rust in trunk area. Doesn't look bad. It was stored in his garage for 26 years. There will be lots and lots of work but am anxious to get it and get started. The one thing the seller told me that is NOT good is the rear wheel wells were cut out and flaired. They do look bad when the picture is expanded. That will be fun. I have looked for months at 63 hardtops and almost all were worse than this one. Soooooo We'll see. Keep praying Roger Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

There a quit a few of these jems still hiding here in Michigan.About 25 years ago my wife surprized me with a 1963 Falcon 260 four speed ,red on red. She saw it in one of our local papers. She had my brother inlaw go pick the car up and drop it off at my home. To my surprize when I came home from work there set a red falcon in my drive way.Later that week I installed wires ,plugs and points and had it running. After a close look I found that the floors were shot. I spent a year looking for some one to replace the floor pan and trunk floor. I gave up and sold it and bought my Mustang.It looks like you found a keeper Don't give up on it like I did.I still wish I had it.The 63's are the best looking of all the Falcons.Roger
    Last edited by gtaroger; December 24th, 2020 at 04:27 AM.

I doubt Larry will toot his own horn here, but he had one of the nicest Falcons I've ever seen - and he built it from the ground up with lots of custom touches. I didn't see the before, but the after was remarkable. We were all wondering why he sold it, but I get how things are sometimes when you say to yourself. "It's time to let it go." So, if this new car comes out even 50% as good as his last, it'll be awesome.

Here's a couple pictures of his previous car for those of you who never saw it. As I recall he actually won the highest horsepower contest when he did this dyno test at a car show.

Larry, when you get the 63 - if you want to hold a "bag and tag" event to get her stripped and onto the rotisserie, I'd be game.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks Roger, it was a fun car to build and those couple of times on the dyno and then drag racing were the most fun. I still get melancholy when I see pictures of the car. BUT, I have to admit. Building it was the most satisfying for me. Showing the car all across the western U.S. and meeting so many interesting people were fun days.
    One day in particular at the Seattle Greenwood show. A young man and his small son came by and spent quite awhile talking. The boy wanted to hear the car and the stereo speakers in the back. Afterwards the young mans wife showed up. She had more pins, bolts and wires in her body than my car with almost all her body covered in tatoo's. Her boobs were about to fall out of her shirt.
    She began barking that my car was nothing more than vanity. Which, I said YEP. I then proceeded to say that having her body pierced, adorned with two pounds of metal and her boobs hanging out were exactly the same thing. She wanted everyone to notice her. MY car said the same thing.
    "look what I did".
    I said all that to say this. When ever I went to car shows I could say I did everything on the car myself. Body work, paint, engine build, fiberglass etc. That is what I wanted to do. To build it. To learn. To have fun. Just so happens the Falcons are beautiful, restored or custom built.
    Now, another chance to build again. More to come I am sure. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Had she not seen the 500 other cars there - or did she "show herself off" to everyone there that day or just pick you? But yeah, it's certainly at odds with some far more pressing issues in the world today, but I say as long as you don't lose sight with the actual important things in life, it's a fun hobby for me - and nothing else.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"