Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to start somewhere

Yeah, don't get me wrong Larry - I would vote no vinyl. The only reason I did it was... by the time I got to looking at the roof and seeing how somebody had a dance up there, I opted to just cover it. On my satin black thing it looks OK. As I understand it your plans (for now) are to build a gasser, so with that in mind a vinyl rood - whether original to the car or not - would look strange. Hopefully it's not too rough for your plans, is all.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Guess the vinyl roof issue is over. Now for another question. As you know from the pictures the wheel wells were cutout and they don't look good. I have been perusing the internet sites and so far the only thing I can find for repair is to buy the whole quarter panels. Maybe finding a parts car in a junk yard? Will all the round bodies work for those wheel wells?
    Also, I mentioned in another post about a rotisserie for sale but I think I will just go ahead and make another one. It wasn't difficult and sure is cheaper to make one. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry, This was posted over on Facebook from a west of the sound Falcon guy. Might be worth taking a look over there:

My Christmas present to all of you.
    At Horseshoe Auto Wrecking in Belfair, by the old drive-in are several Falcons.
    3, 62 2 door sedans
    1 or 2, 65 2 door sedans
    1, 63 2 door Hardtop.
    Merry Christmas Everyone

Any of these of 62-63 vintage would be the same. Or maybe a pair of fenders to do like I did, which if you're doing a gasser, was a common thing back in the day.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Something like this might be nice for the rear wheel wells. Fronts repurposed?

IMG_7554.JPG
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Beerbelly, what is your name. Feels weird saying Beerbelly. I agree and have thought about putting the front wheel well sections on the rear. I have seen that before in other pictures. Thanks and that is definitely an option. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    I have seen that before in other pictures. Thanks and that is definitely an option. Larry
    Like how about mine? You all watched in real-time my process of doing just this, and how I made slight modifications to the opening to make is slightly different from the original.

Anyway, there are pros and cons.

Pros:
    Far easier to change tires.
    Far easier to install larger tire/wheel combo.
    Possible not needed to tub it.

Cons:
    Modifies characteristic of the Falcon.
    Relocation of axle centerline to wheel opening - unless you move front fender flare forward to match original axle placement.
    New driveline if trying to keep stock drive train.

May be others, but these are what I dealt with.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Sorry I didn't see the post on your work. I will go back through the forum and see what you did. That is probably the best method to get me access and make it look good also. Thanks. Should have known you already did this. Must be why I didn't notice it in your pictures because it looks so normal. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Well, it sort of does. Here's a link to where you can start reading on it.

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forum...=8334#post8334
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I found the posts and I love the look you got by adding the triangle piece instead of just having the front and back the same. Wow, your workmanship is phenomenal. I will have to start looking for those front fenders now I guess. If anyone has a couple of them sitting around let me know. Again, Roger, your abilities are beyond anything I could imagine. Not sure I am up to doing as good as you did, but I will try anything ONCE. Thanks Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I think, if I were to do it over - or if I were to get big tires - I would have done some pie cuts on this inner fender and eliminated the flat lip. Since my tires don't come close I'm not concerned, but for a drag car it might be needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"