Thread: Suicide Doors

Suicide Doors

Does anyone have any experience with suicide door hinges? Any recommended manufacturers or tips would be appreciated. I'd like to attempt it on my 61 Sedan Delivery.
    Thanks.
    1961 Falcon Sedan Delivery
    5.0/C4
    Narrowed 9" - Mustang Rack and Pinion Front End

Not that I've done one (closest thing I did was turning the barn doors on my old '56 F100 panel into a single hatchback lift), but having seen a few done on YouTube University and on TV, the best way would be to acquire a set of cast-off doors to use as "parts." Maybe even a junker car since these areas don't generally rot too bad, and then you get another set of latches. Take the passenger side front hinge side and affix to the rear of the drivers side, and vice versa with the other side. This should be the easy part. The latch part would be harder, but you'd probably want to shave the handles and do electronic poppers. If you factor in as much adjustability as Ford did with the standard swing, it shouldn't be too hard. Nerve-racking perhaps.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thank you. I’ll do more research. I was originally thinking of the pre-manufactured hinge kits but your idea seems do-able and more “custom”. I’d rather make and fab my own parts anyway.
    1961 Falcon Sedan Delivery
    5.0/C4
    Narrowed 9" - Mustang Rack and Pinion Front End

If you're a good fabricator, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pull it off. I don't see most of the hinge sets out there being easily adapted. Since the bottoms and the edges of the front and rear of the Falcon doors are pretty similar, shoot, you could almost cut the tops off a couple doors and just weld the window frames on in reverse and call the doors done. LOL!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"