Thread: 64 Wagon thread

64 Wagon thread

Hi all.

I'll be posting te progres on my 64 wagon here.
    It will be a mix of work in progress on the car and pics from us on vacation or days out.
    Bottom line:
    I bought the car in 2001. It had sat for at least 25 years. It looked pretty decent, untill you kow what I mean. Fast foreward sept 2008, the car was re-registred and the fun could start.
    I've been having lots of fun and lots of headaches with her, probably very recognisable.
    Lets start with some fun from last august. We went on a short vacation to the south east of the country, near the German border. We like to go camping on so called farm camps. The idea is tha you have a small scale camping on a working farm, on some farms you can help the farmer.

Our camp site (the car needed to be parked elsewhere)
    DSC01003.jpg
    On a dairy farm nearby with goats, they also had a nice collection of Citroen cars (in France nicknamed goat)
    DSC00988.jpgDSC00990.jpgDSC00994.jpgDSC01001.jpg
    Visiting a historical farmstead.
    DSC00936.jpgDSC00937.jpg
    The car stood out on the parking lot as usual
    DSC00951.jpg

On the way home, crossing the river IJssel, the banks to the ferry were so steep, I scraped my rear license plate over the ground while driving of the ferry.
    DSC01011.jpg

The weather and the lockdown have not been promotive for family outings, so I started on some things that needed adressing. ONe such are the wheels and tyres. I've been running tyres with just legal therad depth for dsome years and finally bit the bullet on getting the maxxis 185/80R13's with white wall. Since I'm running the 13"dog dish hubcaps I needed to clean up my rims as well. Do a repaint this time in body colour with decent cleaning and clear coat.
    But I can only do 2 tyres at once (I have 2 spares), my car needs to stay mobile, because my garage will be demolished anytime this year (so now i'm also looking for a new garage...).
    So this monday I had the rims media blasted at work and today I managed to paint them in 2K Epoxy Primer.

Some eye candy:
    After media blasting and sanding the last spots
    DSC01049.jpgDSC01050.jpgDSC01051.jpg
    The red spots on the last pic are traces of original primer that media blasting wouldn't remove.

Primer!

DSC01054.jpgDSC01055.jpg

The shed is unheated, so the'll have to sit inside to cure compleatly (we were all kinda stoned this afternoon )

Still dubbing if I'll try to fill these spots, or accept that these rims are 50+ years old and can proudly wear their scars. I don't want to mess too much with the ep primer, it came out pretty nice.
    DSC01058.jpg

Cheers, Rinke

Love the wagon! Great to see it over yonder. Looks to be in really great shape and being enjoyed.

As for the rims, I'd leave well enough alone as long as they are coated and the rust removed. And I'm pretty OCD about things, in general. Newly restored wheels and tires on it will be nice.

Miss my wagon sometimes...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Hi all,

A little update.
    The 2 rims were finished and re tyred. They came out great!
    DSC01078.jpgDSC01079.jpg

The generator you can see in primer has also been reassembled and installed. Now my car has a functional generator again.
    DSC01082.jpgDSC01083.jpg
    The splash shield was very deteriorated. When I bought the tyres I also looked for a good tyre dressing.I got the poorboys tyre dressing, that I also used on the splash shield. Much to my surpirse the splash shield really benefitted from two shots of this tyre dressing. The cracks were less deep and it was more mallable than before.
    I was a nice surpise.

We have the may holliday here and we were planning a short camping trip. Unfortunately I sprained my back on easter and my fysiotherapist advised against spending some nights in a tent.. (I was not too sorry about that, its 10-13 degrees celcius at the moment with some showers. Brrrrr

So I took the girls to the campsite with the falcon today:
    DSC01105.jpg DSC01111.jpgAll set for the harshness of -2 degrees nights. And their view accross the campsite

On the way to the campsite we passed a nice historical garden, it's a nature reserve now with a lot of spring flowering rare bulb flowers.
    DSC01099.jpgDSC01095.jpgDSC01101.jpgThe reserve is set in the middle of flower bulb fields, so we were treated on some nice see through spots where the path neared the edge of the forrest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Falcongek; May 1st, 2021 at 11:22 AM.

And on my way home I came across this great photo location. I had to stop and shoot some nice photo's.
    Enjoy:

DSC01113.jpgDSC01114.jpgDSC01115.jpgDSC01116.jpg

As you can see the rear tyres are the new ones. After my holliday I'll be changing the front ones and adding the hubcaps, but those need a little polishing before they can go on.

You (almost) can't get it more Dutch than this:
    Water, Tulips, Windmills and a threatening overcast sky:
    DSC01121.jpg

Cheers,
    Rinke

Rinke,

Must be so much fun driving your Falcon around in a country where it would be so rare. Here, folks come up and say "I remember when my folks or grandfolks had one of those! I'm doubting you get that sort of a response to yours. Love seeing your posts!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"