Thread: I need a little help

I need a little help

I pulled my column out and replaced about all the parts in the column. I put it together and found that the horn doesn't work. I found that the copper contact ring is worn out. The copper is wore off the ring where the button for the power pin rides on.I have a aftermarket steering wheel and adapter. I have been trying to find some one who sells the contact ring. I really don't want to buy a new adapter.The adapter I have is a Billet Specialty with nine holes to bolt the wheel on.Do you think someone sells this part or I will have to buy the adapter?

GTARoger, Can you post a picture of the part that is worn? I'll give it a go to see if I can help find a solution, but seeing it might help.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I took a picture of it on my phone. Couldn't get it to down load to my computer. I said to heck with it. I went over to NPD and bought a new adapter. I installed it. I still can't get the horn to work. I've got everything else working. I found a loose wire under the dash that's solid white,When I ground it the horn blows.So back to the drawing board. GTARoger

Well... it sounds like that white wire needs to find it's way up the column to the horn button, which is hopefully a short-to-ground switch; since grounding the wire is what makes the horn honk.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I think you are right about the wire.I think the guy that owned the car before me did a little wiring of his own design.The horn button was set up with one wire plugged to one of the wires going to the contact ring and a wire to the body of the horn button going to bolt to the adapter .I found a couple wires cut under the dash. I first have to figure out what each of the wires were for.One wire was a solid yellow I put it back to the plug to supply constant power. One of the turn signal plug holes was emptyFrom what I can tell should feed the horn.There's another wire that I need to strip back the black tape to see what color the wire is. It looked black ,but when I wiped it off to clean it it looks white. That's the one that when grounded blows the horn. There's been a little rewiring done on this car in the past. It looks like I will have to do a little cleaning up of the wiring that was done in the past.From what I learned in 64 they used one wire to ground the horn button. In 65 there are two wires two the horn button.

Well Roger you were right. Today I ran the loose white wire to the empty slot in the turn signal switch plug.I used the wire that goes to the inter part of the contact ring and ran it to the horn button and a wire from the horn button to a bolt on the adapter. The horn worked for a couple tries. The horn took a crap.I'm going the auto junk yard tomorrow and find me the loudest set of horns I can find. I bought a set off a older Lincoln Town Car on my last build.Worked great and cost $2.12.Now to the line lock and cutouts.

Glad you got it figured out. I'm pretty sure you may also have a horn relay in 1964, so before buying horns (unless you really want new horns) make sure it's not the relay. It's generally just below the voltage regulator, if you have one, and will have three wires to it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

My car has no voltage regulator .At least not on the fender wells. It has a 150 amp one wire alternator. i think the regulator is built in to it.I tested the horn off the car and it's shot. I went to the junk yard today and bought two sets of horns. One set is off a BMW and the other is off Explorer . I tested both sets, and they both work. At $2.00 a set you can't go wrong.Now I have to decide which set to use.Man have I gotten slow in my old age. It is getting so that it takes me for ever to do a job that should take me a couple hours.Oh well, at least I can still do it.For now.GTARoger

Typically it's on the drivers side front core support (left side of radiator). Just putting it out there as it can begin to fail (it's a relay) and this can cause a horn to fail. That ohms law stuff. Horns draw a lot of current and if the contact in the relay is getting bad the horn won't function right and may overheat.

I'm sure the Ford horns will sound more American. LOL.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"