Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Falcon in the house

New Falcon in the house

Hello all,
    Hopefully I am posting this in the right place, just wanted to introduce myself, Doug Oberst, I live in Tacoma, and have been lurking on this site for a little while as I was looking for a car, which I took possession of about a month ago. I have not owned a Falcon previously and have not had a car purely for fun in a long time and I am looking forward to getting back into this hobby.

I was looking for a Mustang for quite a while and for what I wanted, (convertible, 1st gen) in the condition I wanted, I was striking out based on the money they are bringing. While looking, I started noticing Falcons and began to understand the similarities to the Mustang and considered them more seriously. I eventually found a '63 Sprint Convertible that was mostly original here locally and got pretty excited about it, the price was great, and I went to look at it in person. It was definitely more of a project than I originally planned, the floor pan was pretty much rusted completely away from the rockers and there was some extensive bondo repair, the top was a complete loss, and someone had tried to paint (looked like with a brush) it white over the original Viking Blue. I actually considered it but decided I really didn't want that much of a project.

I think it was the next day I was looking at the adds and found this car online out of Pennsylvania and impulsively just called the seller. It has a '92 302 out of a Fox Body Mustang originally EFI but the owner changed to NA because "it didn't look right in the Falcon". The front end steering and spindles are from a '65 Mustang as is the 8" rear axle. It also has a C4 transmission and is overall in pretty decent shape. The seller, who I am still in contact with, is 78 yrs old, has owned over 200 cars and has rebuilt most of them. This was one of the few he has left, and he is selling everything off.

I have been generating quite a list of things I want to do to it but currently I will just be driving it for the summer and plan to do some projects over the winter. I have lots to learn about the car and will probably start a thread about what I am doing or hope to do, ask questions, and get advice. I gotta say I am much happier with the Falcon than a Mustang at this point and really looking forward to having some fun with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Obie 250; April 22nd, 2021 at 08:07 AM.

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

Very nice car. You will be glad you paid more up front and bought a solid runner. Congratulations

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I like! It's a pretty clean car from what I see. Welcome to the Falcon family and I'm sure as you tinker on it you'll find it as rewarding, if not more, than a Mustang. For sure it's far more unique. Keep us abreast of your progress and hopefully, someday soon, we can all park these cars together somewhere.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Nice car. My car too, was a 'second' choice when purchased, but has turned out to be a very good choice.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

It's definitely not perfect but a good solid platform. I want to get a little more performance out of it. The '92 302 is stock, other than the carb and intake, and they were rated around 240 hp when new I believe even though it was considered "high output". I think its lucky to be making 200 at this point. The C4 works but it hunts a little and is dripping so not in perfect condition but I will possibly put in a T5, we will see.

I polished it but the paint is not new, I guess the car was originally white. It was a decent paint job and looks good from a respectable social distance, ha. No clear coat and a couple of thin spots so not too many polishes in her future. There are a couple of small rust spots that need attention and most of the chrome is shiny but definitely failing in some spots. It came with spoke hub caps off of a Fairlane I think, which I didn't love, so I painted the wheels and found the dog dishes on ebay. Not sure about that yet.

The entire heat system needs a rebuild and the drivers side fresh air vent is rusting, need further investigation on that. The ignition is not original and the original plug for the switch has been bypassed and is hanging under the dash. That and some other questionable wiring for a tape deck that was in the glove box and some added gauges needs looking at.

All small stuff generally and I can certainly drive it and have fun with it while I plan out bigger improvements which will likely include engine performance, suspension upgrades, cosmetic issues and etc, etc.

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

Oh yeah... those small things. Those always lead to big things. Around here we call that the curse of "While I'm At It™." Be careful... be very careful.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Or as Derek at Vice Grip Garage would say- "mahzzle", as in "mahzzle fix this while I'm right here anyway".
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Beerbelly... Well I'll be dipped! I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"