Thread: Trying to find a live wire off ignition switch

Trying to find a live wire off ignition switch

I am starting a new project today. I'm installing a Sniper Stealth EFI in my car. I'm tired of messing with carbs.I need to run a wire that's hot 12 volt when you turn on the ignition switch,It also has to be hot 12 volts when the ignition switch is turned to the start position.I have a drawing of the ignition not sure witch one to use. I can't get the ignition switch out now. I ordered the tool to fit it and it will be a couple days till I get it.GTA Roger

I hate to admit my way of finding out. I just tracked down a hot wire using my test light. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I tried to find a live wire from under the dash. I can't get under very well ,I mounted a console and I don't want to remove it to get a better angle under the dash. I pulled the dash bezel and could not see the wires good enough . I plan on removing the ignition switch retainer and turn the switch where I can get to the wires clearly with the test light.I'm trying to get the car ready so when the Siper EFI comes that it won't long to install it. You have to route a + and - wires to the battery and to the ECU. My battery is in the trunk. I got the wires routed and set to hook up.I'm getting the oxygen bong welded in friday.Once I get the bong in ,I will pull the carb and related parts and wait for the EFI.GTA Roger
    Last edited by gtaroger; May 26th, 2021 at 07:30 PM.

When I first started working on my 64 I could get under the dash, barely. Later, gaining weight, getting older and stiffer I found it a lot easier to just remove the seats. Still have to fight around the console and shifter. It wasn't too bad finding wires since I installed a whole new wiring harness with fuses and I made a chart/list of what split off of certain wires. By the time I was done adding tachs, additional guages, shift lights, and other addon's my chart looked like spaghetti. Hope the new owner was able to understand my madness.
    Anxious to see how your project goes witht the EFI. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I found the same problems you listed. I'm 70 years old ,bad back,and poor vision. I removed the drivers side bucket seat. Still could'nt see much.I'll keep you posted how the EFI goes.I'm a bit excited about it. How it improves the driveability.The motor makes very good top end power just hope this solves the off idle problems. GTA Roger

Are you using the resistance wire for your ignition still? If you are you can still tap into the same wire at the switch. This is the only wire on the switch with a pigtail a couple inches from the switch. It's the I terminal of the switch. If you make up a auxiliary wire to plug into this location, you will have a 12v source and the resistor wire for the coil, if still used.

Here's one I made for someone else.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"