Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 63 Falcon Gasser Build

63 Falcon Gasser Build

Starting a new thread for my 63 Falcon Gasser. I have the wheels ordered, back order of course. I have finally decided on the rear suspension. I am going to use Cal Trac's traction system with split mono-leaf springs and 9 way adjustable shocks.
    I can't look for, or buy a rear housing until I get the dimensions from the new wheels for correct location in the wheel wells. I do know the back spacing is 3 3/4 so maybe I can figure this out using the old rear end width. More to come on that for sure.
    The next step after getting the rear end stance, location is to determine how high the front end straight axle will be.
    I will soon change my picture on my posts to the new car. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I have to tell you Larry - WE NEED PICTURES! The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Not much has changed on this project. These photos most of you have seen before and I haven't done a lot while waiting on the wheels I ordered. I also ordered the CalTracs, mono leaf springs and rear shocks. Taken a few things off the car but trying to leave the weight there to correctly set the rear end ride height. As soon as I get the rear wheels I can get the tires and determine the rear end width and order it, axles and gearing. Larry63 .jpgDSCN0511.jpgDSCN0503.jpg
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Here are some of the things I have ordered. Couldn't get the mono-leaf springs to show up. Larryrpm-r61-586537_xl.jpgrpm-r41-546522_lc_xl.jpgCalTracs-sq-labelled-01.jpgCR-Series-General-labelled-sq-01.jpg
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

How wide a wheel and what tires? That is similar backspace to my 15 x 8 1/2" TorgueThrusts and with tires that bulge to 11" a 50" overall rear end width worked out.

Tom, thanks for the info. I haven't got the wheels yet, but the rear wheels are 15 X 8 1/2 with 3 3/4 backspacing. I am going to install Cooper GT Cobra 275-60R15 tires. Those are the same tires my brother uses on his 64 Fairlane and I like those. They do not bulge much but are about 10" wide. As soon as I get those wheels and tires I will verify clearance then measure for axle to axle dimension to get the rear end width.
    It may be necessary to mini-tub the car, but I do intend to cutout the wheel wells and install the same fender style cutouts that Roger did on his Ranchero. His looks great. So, it doesn't matter if the tires stick out a little ways. Old school gasser look anyway. It would be great if a standard 50" width 9" will fit. It will make it a lot easier to decide once I get the wheels. Right now, they are back ordered and scheduled for shipment from Summit on June 27th. Front wheels are 15 x 4 1/2 and supposed to ship June 6th. We'll see.
    But, I have been real busy on other things so not killing me to wait. As soon as I get the delivery, I will take pictures, get dimensions and get back to ya'll for more input and help.
    Thanks again. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Same size tires i have but mine are BF Goodrich. They bulge to 10 1/2" For sure need to move the springs inward and widen the inner wells. I moved my Ranchero's springs in 2" and notched the frame rails for the spring front mounts. Uses the same bolt hole in the inner wall of the frame but now the spring sits against it instead of the bolt passing all the way through the frame rail into the hanger outside the frame. I extended those original front mounts 2" to meet up with the rocker. The frame rail is boxed in so the spring is now inline with it. The inner wheelwells are up against the vertical surface of the frame rail. The top flange cut away and that widens them about 1 1/2" which is just enough. When i got the car it had 215/60-14's that were rubbing!

I talked to a couple of gasser guys from South East Gassers that have Falcons. They are not allowed to run 4 links, only old school type ladder bars or leaf springs. They didn't need to move the leaf springs but the tires stick out. The one guy has 9" slicks the other runs 10" slicks. He also said he did some trimming of structure to get some clearance. Not sure where. I guess I will find out pretty soon.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I'm curious what you are referring to concerning the "fender style Roger did to his Ranchero". I am currently trying to figure out what I am doing to my car as far as rear suspension, wheels and tires, rear axel width, etc. I'm finding I am facing many of the same challenges others have dealt with and am looking for creative solutions.

I assume the fender style you mention allows more room, maybe a bigger opening?

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

Doug, Roger our president did a mod job on his Ranchero using the front fender wheel wells to open up the fender. I am going to do the same thing to allow room for my tires and wheels. Here is the link to his post. Hope this helps. Larry https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showthread.php?1482-Call-me-crazy-Ranchero-s-(again)&p=8334#post8334
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Doug, on Rogers post, page 29 gives the best shot of the side view of his Ranchero. You can see it gives all kinds of room for larger wheel/tire combinations. Larry

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Thanks for the link Larry, very helpful. I was thinking it was something to this effect. I just recently saw a Sprint for sale that must have done something very similar and I thought it looked really good. I wasn't sure if it was some model I hadn't seen before.

This kind of mod is a little beyond what I want to have to do and probably a little beyond my skill level to do it myself. I have been looking at different combinations of 4 link or moving the leaf springs and possibly and/or narrowing the rear axel. I can handle that stuff and can probably live with the tire size that will allow.

I do want to stick with the 8" rear end because its quite a bit lighter than a 9" and I am not running enough HP to hurt it, and I don't have to buy it but it is a little trickier to narrow since the spring perches are already close to the ends.

I will be interested to follow your progress and see how it comes together, I am sure I will learn something

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

All this stuff is beyond my skill level. That is the main reason I tackled my 64 when I retired. I wanted to do all the things that building a car requires. I had never welded, never done body work, never painted a car. It was challenging but thanks to all the guys on this site and Youtube, I learned a lot.
    There are a bunch of things that are required in building this gasser that will challenge me again. BUT, looking forward to learning so more.
    Take care and keep us informed on your car. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I broke an 8" with a 200 six in my 65 Falcon convertible!

As for the structure trimming, it's probably at the front of the opening at the rocker panel. You can't get a very big diameter tire ("tar" for Southeast Gassers) in there. I cut the outer rocker all the way back to the front of the inner wheelwell to clear a 27" diameter. Bigger than that and you need to have bigger diameter wheel tubs.
    And you certainly don't want to move the rear end back to solve that. If anything move it forward and cut twice as much off the rocker and gain more clearance at the back of the opening.

I suppose anything can break for lots of reasons. In high school we ran a '66 Mustang with a 351, 4.11 8" spooled rear end, street slicks and hammered it at the track all the time. On a good day we might do low 11sec and never had a problem except went through a few clutches haha

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4