Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 63 Falcon Gasser Build

Mine was 3.55 gears and on street tires on the street. The 200 had nitrous (made around 180hp tops) and broke the caps off the 8" carrier

A 9" costs more but an 8.8 is cheap and just as stong as a 9".

8" rearend is pretty tough, but they had a couple types. You need to get the ones with the extra structural ribbing to make one for performance applications. Here's where I upgraded to a TracLoc on mine.

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forum...9595#post19595
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I have been trying to work on the car and remove the rear end. Jeff got me in touch with a person that wants the rear end and he has a couple of good front fenders that I need. So, making a swap. BUT, I have fought for many years a medical condition making it almost impossible to work under the car without having splitting headaches that last for hours.
    When I worked on my 64, had the same condition so I made a rotisserie so I could stand up for most of the work. Sold it to another Falcon Club member when I finished using it.
    I was going to build another one for this car, but found the cost of steel is ridiculous. Decided to buy one instead. Then will sell it when finished. I bought the Titan rotisserie 4500. Here is a link to a youtube video.
    Hated to spend the needed money, but.
    Titan Lifts Automotive Rotisserie ROT-4500 - YouTube
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I ordered from Summit Racing the wheels for my 63. They were back ordered. Received notification that the front wheels would ship 6/1. Rear wheels were coming later shipping 6/21. Then I got the news that the front wheels would ship 6/26 and rear wheels would ship 7/11. On Friday they sent another message. Fronts......7/1, rear 7/26. So, decided I needed to get the rear end off and get it to the person who I mentioned above trading me two front fenders. So.......today. The rear wheels arrived????
    Going to try and get the rear tires tomorrow to check clearances. More later I guess. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry,

I've always had good luck ordering from Summit. Have often scratched my head wondering how that got that package to me so fast! Right now there are so many manufacturing delays caused by a host of issues depending on where you're at, so we're all waiting for things to get back to normal. It's going to take a while. I suspect even things made in USA have some item(s) in them from overseas where things are still pretty bleak.

Anyway, you have a couple pieces to your new puzzle. Once you receive and get that WhirlyJig 4000 setup - you'll be going all out then! Dirt, rust, and metal, just a flinging. Just remember to stand back and snap a few "bring us along with you" postcards.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I agree with the shipping from Summit. Often get things the next day. This is, or was a problem from the supplier. The wheels are coming straight from them.
    I do know that the news has stated that 9 ships were being held in the sound waiting to offload. Last Friday I was told the front wheels would ship on 7/1. Yesterday I got 6 emails saying I would get the wheels today.
    I promised the guy who wants the rear end out of the car, so will need to get that done. We are going to Kansas for family reunion pretty soon. Yahoo, Kansas in July. I will get the rear end out today, I hope.
    Haven't received shipping information on the rotisserie. Probably won't even start on that until we get back from Kansas. I will be taking pictures for sure. More to come, but not soon I guess.

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

In the past Summit has been lightning quick on in-stock items, and is my go-to supplier for online parts. 1-2 days tops; amazing.

On the other hand, anyone have comments about JEGS? I recently ordered an item that they got wrong, and they charged me $10.49 shipping to return THEIR mistake! On the return order questionnaire, I told them that I'd like the correct replacement part; today (3 weeks later) they said they didn't notice that. I said please refund me, I'm done with you.

Sorry for the hijack & rant; I'm still following this build and hope all goes well for you.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

I've dealt with Summit for years and have never had a problem with them.If I had a problem with a product you were quick to refund or replace. I recently ordered a Holley Sniper EFI, got it in two days.GTARoger

I have the Caltrac split single leaf springs temporarily in place with the wheels/tires located where I believe they will be located. They stick out a little as you can see in the pictures, but that is what I wanted/expected for the gasser build. Now I have the dimension for the width of the rear end. It will be a 9" with 58" from axle hub to hub. Going to order the rear end tomorrow, but not sure if I want drum or disc brakes.. I think I am going with what I had in my 64 and 4:11 gearing and posi-trac.
    When the rear end is installed I believe I will have interference at the front of the tires, but plan on cutting out some of that when I do the front fender cutout install like Roger did. More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

You still need to find fenders for these rear flares, don't you? I've been keeping an eye out, but nothing so far.

Good to see you have your rear-end measurements figured out. Worse case you can cut flares like I did on my very first Falcon. Using a cutting torch.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"