Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 62 wiper switch location?

62 wiper switch location?

I am plodding away on my 62 Ranchero doing wiring and determined that I don't know which dash hole the wiper switch goes in.
    The car was all apart when i got it and the wiring harness is all chopped up and evidently the car originally had vacuum wipers and the motor in there now is from something else with the plug chopped off. I figured i'd add intermittent switch and box to it but that won't fit the hole i'd assumed to be wipers, the one to the left of the column. That one seems to be obstructed by the brace behind it enough that no wiper switch would fit. So which other hole would be for the wipers. Can't find any pictures on the internet that show that detail. And what else would go in that first hole to the left?

​Tom, do you still have the instrument panel? I believe the wipers name is on that panel. It is just left of the steering column. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Yes, the cluster is in a box somewhere. I tried a few different wiper switches in that hole and they all hit the brace before you can get them lined up with the hole. I assume a switch for there has to be a very narrow thing. The ones i have are all too bulky.

Tom, I put an intermittent wiper assy into my 63 Ranchero and had the same issue you describe with that switch. Never tried a 2-speed switch either, since I wasn't going to use one. It came with single-speed so perhaps a 2-speed switch would have hit too. It is the hole on the left-side of the column, right of the ignition switch. I got mine to fit by using a long drift and massaging the bolted in brace where the switch needed to be. I had the drivers door off at the time and was able to go in with the drift punch from where the door hinge bolted. How I would do it with a dash full of stuff or with the drivers door on, I don't know. I know I'd figure it out, but it took some force to divot the brace enough to accept the size of the switch.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here's the place in my build thread where I addressed this. The next entry shows the dash and switch installed, but not how much I 'massaged' the brace.

https://www.rainierfalcons.com/forum...=8856#post8856
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks. Geez another ordeal coming up! Dash is painted already and I was hoping to just whip all this stuff together now. I had a couple melted wires for the brake light switch so had to take apart the harness and found cut wires. So i'll need to redo that and figured i'd add intermittent and getting rid of the fuses on the headlight switch with a later model plug like you did and relocated fuse box.

Nothing is so easy. That's a crazy tight area for the switch to go. I have a more compact single speed switch off my 64 Fairlane it even hits and sits crooked in the hole. I might relocate it to the right of the column. Maybe put a manual choke cable to the left or even a cable for the door on that left vent... which is all broken . Is there a solution for that like adapting something off anither car? Kind of weird how it attaches with J hooks.
    Last edited by Tom P; June 12th, 2021 at 11:34 AM.

Now i'm even more mystified. I found the cluster and indeed labelled "Wipers" and "Choke" and "Defrost" on the lens. So now the idea of moving it to the second hole to the right is out and i'll hack the brace.

I also found the wiper switch which i assumed was for vacuum wipers but as i'm discovering, early Rancheros were apparently designed by Rube Goldberg. And that crazy thing is a cable to operate the electrical switch on the motor. Though not the motor i've got which i've yet to determine what exactly it is.
    Here is the same switch. Just bizarre. Why in heck wouldn't they have just made the brace different to use the switch off their other cars and trucks?
    1960 - 62 Ford Falcon & Mercury Comet Wiper Control Cable /NOS Trico #87150-58J | eBay

Vacuum wipers use a valve, not a switch. So that cable opens the wiper motor to engine vacuum.

And had I known the intermittent switch was going to interfere as it did I would have modified the brace before putting it in. It would have been very hard to modify had I not had the door off to all a direct shot to hit that spot on the brace.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"