Thread: Tachometer connection at coil on 1963 260 V8

Tachometer connection at coil on 1963 260 V8

I have a 63 Sprint convertible with the factory, in-line tachometer and a distributor with points instead of Petronix.

Until this weekend I had a reproduction yellow-top coil on the engine with the studs marked distributor and battery. No brainer on how to connect.

Don?t know how, but the threaded stud on the coil marked ?distributor? broke off and the unit needed replacing. Couldn?t get a yellow-top locally, went with Delco unit from Advance Auto. It?s marked ?+? and ?-?.

With the tach in mind, does the wiring harness from the firewall go to the negative side of the coil and the distributor to the positive? The wire color from the harness is red w/ green stripe. There is no dedicated wire from the tach, I am using the pink resister wire.

Thanks. I understand you can fry the tachometer if you get this wrong.

mark k

Mark, Though I have one of those tachs and have never installed it (I have a fake one using regular trigger from distributor lead) the coil leads are "-" = DIST and + is where the red-green wire went to the yellow top. I've never looked at the wiring schematic for the factory tach, but I know (from word of mouth) that the ignition is fed - through - the tach, not just a trigger from the - terminal. But swapping the coil, knowing the DIST is the negative terminal, should not alter the tach wiring.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"