Thread: Went with EFI

Went with EFI

I just installed Holley Sniper EFI in my Falcon today. Still have the A/C kick up and the wot shut off for the A/C to wire. Man does it make a difference in the way it idles.Before I had all kinds of problems trying to get the big racing carb to idle with the power steering and A/C on. Now it idles at 850 rpms and when you turn the A/C on it just keeping idling smoothly.I say smoothly I mean it stays at the 850 rpms but it still rumbles a bit.The exhaust sound good but the engine idles great for the cam thats in it.I haven't had a chance to drive it on the street yeat. I had a new driveway pored a couple days ago ,so I can't drive on it till friday.GTARoger

I have since had the chance to drive my car on the street. It drives better now that it ever has.It's still learning, but it drives great. The throttle response is sharp . I now can just step on the gas peddle and it breaks the tires loose.No bog or hesitation. No matter what speed or how I mash the gas peddle it is smooth. No bucking at low speeds. there is no problems when the A/C is on ,When the air cycles it make no difference driving or at idle. The motor runs smooth. I think this is one of the best upgrades that I could have done.GTARoger

I have looked at this kit and am interested. I have a bunch of other things to do first but I definitely will be considering this. The installation looks pretty straight forward, any particular challenges? Did you run a full return line to your tank or did you use the return pump option? Are you using it to control timing?

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

car already had the return line installed,so I used it.I have the Sniper controlling the timing.If this system can control a engine with the cam I'm running, it can work on anything.My hardest part was finding a hot wire ,both hot on the on switch but hot on the crank side. Routing the wires to look nice was the slowest part of the install.I had to cut one wire loom and route it through fire wall then reconnect it under the dash. All was pretty easy . Just take your time and do things only once.GTARoger

I should have asked what kind of ignition are you running? I have an HEI distributor which I don't love and I am not sure but I don't think it is compatible with the Sniper regarding the timing.

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

Also in addition to the ignition question what kind of intake manifold, dual plane or single plane? I was reading a bunch of debates that the throttle body injection doesn't work well with dual planes

Doug

'63 Futura Convertible
    C4

I'm running a Mallery magnetic distributor. It looks just like the MSD. In fact I use the MSD cap and the MSD adjustable rotor cap.I don't remember if you can use the HEI . Go to the holley documents.com and look at the instructions for the sniper kit. It has a section in it that tells you what and how to install a locked distributor. You also can run the Sniper with out locking the distributor.I think the Sniper controlled distributor set up is the way to go.As the engine idles the computer is constantly adjusting the timing and the fuel. My engine has never idled this good with the mechanical advanced timing.I also am using the MSD 6 A box.I don't know how much better my gas mileage is .My car has a GPM speedometer with no odometer.But I have seen a good improvement in mileage.I took a ride to Bellvelle Mi the other day . It's about 50 miles round trip. I used just under 1/4 of a tank. I have a 12 gallon fuel cell. That not to bad for the engine I have with a 4.11 gear and a AOD trans.Before that I probably got half that.I also am using a Edelbrock RPM Air gap. It is a dual plane. I've heard that some people may have a issue with a dual plane making a whistling sound. The fix is to cut the divider at the mounting plate a couple inches and it will go away. I called Holley tech and they told me the dual plane was not a proplem. GTARoger
    Last edited by gtaroger; June 25th, 2021 at 09:06 PM.

This is just a update. I have been driving the car for a couple months now. It is running great. I have had no problems at all . It starts with just a turn of the key( don't have to touch the gas pedal.GTARoger