Thread: Another wiper questtion... the heck's a coordinator???

Another wiper questtion... the heck's a coordinator???

I found a 64 Comet two speed wiper motor that looks like the mounting bracket will fit my 62, I haven't got the 64 Comet wiring but in reading the diagram it shows a wiper coordinator, appearing to be a separate thing that both the switch and motor plug into. A Falcon wiring diagram shows it too. Switch is almost in the middle of the picture and the coordinator to the right with a two wire and a three wire plug.

1964FordWiringDiagram-TwoSpeedWiper-Large.jpg (3000?2100) (rowand.net)

This one also calls it a coordinator and shows the two plugs but looks simpler to follow.
    MWire5765-187.jpg (1252?1637) (oldcarmanualproject.com)

I have two spade teminals on the cover of the gear case plus the four wire plug off the motor. It shows two green wires that would appear to be for the Parking position of the wipers tthat would go there but i'm trying to determine where they go at the other ends if i'm not using a 64 switch or if this wiper motor is even usable with the intermittent box i want to hook up.

Never heard of a coordinator or what it even looks like or if that is part of the wiper switch. Anyone know?
    Last edited by Tom P; June 17th, 2021 at 04:35 PM.

I believe the answer is in the picture... two speed windshield "washer" coordinator. The foot operated windshield washer pump also has a switch on it to operate the wipers when you pump water onto the windshield. What isn't clear, is what plugs in where if you don't have that foot pump assy w/switch attached.

Long ago I abandoned the Falcon wiper motor/switch stuff and started using two speed F100 (70's ish) and the (late 70's ish) intermittent bits used with the same harness. Totally plug and play and the washer pump has to be converted to electric pump (operated at the wiper switch of the F100 style switch).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yeah there is no sign of my car ever having washers. I'm not going to have them anyway. The separate wires for park position throws me, I don't see that on other newer motors or on the single speed. I have that 70's F series switch and intermittent box already, I was just trying to use a motor from my stockpile and only see a couple of two speeds and a bunch of single speed ones. I can scare up a proper one.
    I guess the intermittent won't function on a single speed motor?

Another thing... on every 62 and older Falcon/Comet wiring diagram there is no windshield washer wiring shown. I don't see any wire to power it (orange with a white stripe) in the under dash harness at all, i've taken off all the tape. The only spot i could see it coonecting is maybe a ring terminal on a stud on the ignition switch or a male spade into the fuse box.

I am astonished simple info on these cars seems to be so obscure online. Every other car's wiring diagram shows wipers and searching for a wiper switch for anything else shows the correct one. When you Google "62 Falcon wiper switch" you come up with pictures of ones that don't even fit the dash and none that show the remote switch that the cable goes to.
    Last edited by Tom P; June 17th, 2021 at 10:54 PM.

I don't think it will.

The park function is just a constant source of power to keep the wiper motor going until it parks - even if you turn the switch off instantly after starting the wipers. I'm not a fan of these early Ford switch diagrams. They never clearly show (to me, anyway) the function of the switch. So it looks like the two green wires go to the same place in the switch, so how that's working - as a pass-through or a source of power, it's not clear. I have to have one in my hands, with an ohm meter, and ring out the switch.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"