Thread: Wagon Build - Phase 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No doubt I'll suggest quite a few WIAI? things along the way.

It was critical for me to have my mom's car done, and sold, to make space in the garage before starting a new project. Her car (1980 Capri mentioned in the ChitChat section - It's all for you, Mom) went to its new owner a couple days ago, so I'm now wrapping up a couple things on the Ranchero so I can get it to the alignment shop, soon.

I've been working on the bits and pieces Jeff left me already. The rocker assembly is now done and looking for a head to attach itself to. I machined some Delrin friction-fit washers to - maybe - help retain oil in the rocker arms, which is notorious for not getting all the oil they need and wearing out things. Took 3 cores and a new shaft to make a decent assembly.

Stay tuned, but as Jeff indicated, the machine shop is swamped and it may be the end of summer/early fall before the machine work is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 30th, 2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: tweaks
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

While we wait for the machine shop we pick away at the other bits. Here I cleaned, painted, replaced seals, filter and gaskets on the C4. I also replaced the reverse servo since the old one was likely 55 years old and rubber.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Today was a milestone day. The machined engine parts are back from Action Auto and we?re delivered to Roger?s very cool garage. Kenny and Gene were also there so we got a good visit in. Wonderful to see everyone in person.

Here is a picture of the 200 block, head and other parts in the back of the CRV and ready for delivery.

the dual pattern block was bored 0.030 and the crank 0.010 on both main and rod journals.

the 1980 head has the larger intake log as a bigger carburetor hole which will help it breath better. Because it also has a bigger combustion chamber, 0.014? was taken off the block and we found some flat topped pistons made for a Ford Tempo. The end compression ration should be 8.73:1

Roger will get some progress shots as the assembly happens.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Three steps forward, one back...

When I took delivery of this pile o'200 motor, and we gave it a quick going through, one thing instantly caught my eye and after a bit of research and a communication with the machine shop -- the head is back at the shop. The cam requires a higher spring pressure and somehow the spring diameter didn't get accounted for (somehow) and so they assembled it with the stock retainer caps and larger diameter springs. So, thankfully, we were thorough and they'll make it good. In fact the shop owner "owned up" to this mistake and didn't try to pawn it off on a Lackie. Good man.

I'll be getting it onto the stand and start the build soon. Got to get my garage sorted into "car building mode" first.

Good to see Jeff, Kenny and Gene again. Hope you'll all be available, as well, to do some of the heavy lifting.

Hey, I ain't no spring chicken no more.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"