Thread: Starter problemss

Starter problemss

I went to a local cruise the other day. I drove around for a couple hours. When I shut the engine off it did not start. It seems there is a problem with heat soak with the starter.I have done a little research on it ,and it seems that the header is to close to the starter. I put a heat shield rap around the starter. That didn't help. I plan on replacing the starter with a mini high torque starter. I've seen them that are off set 3/4 inch and can be clocked to clear the headers. I'll post later and let you know how well it works.GTARoger
    Last edited by gtaroger; July 3rd, 2021 at 08:35 PM.

I had the same issue on my 1966 F100. I only wrapped the starter -after- I sold the truck, so have no clue whether it helped. Probably not. The new owner was likely to yank the 390 for a rebuild and probably never drove it much since.

I did a hi-torque starter on my Ranchero and so far so good, but it's not seen any driving/use/heat yet, so who knows. I do know it cranks over better than with the stock starter. I wrapped it too, which was so much easier because there is more room to wrap and tie than with the stock starter.

Be sure to check your timing too. That can effect the ease of starting a hot car if it's too far advanced.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I got the new starter thursday , I could not get it to fit. I spent at least 2 hours . There's just not enough space. The Boss block has a flat surface that comes out by the oil pan rail. It blocks the starter from fitting. Summit sells a smaller diameter starter that puts out more torque that the stock starter. What I found funny was the mini starter is larger that the stock starter..If I turned the starter so it was upright, it hit the block and header. If I turned it down, It hit the link for the steering. There was no in between.I hope Summit will take it back. The timing is fine, It's controled by the Sniper. Before I installed the sniper Iv'e had some problems with it getting hot and not wanting to start till it cools off.GTARoger
    Last edited by gtaroger; July 3rd, 2021 at 08:38 PM.

I installed another mini starter in my car. It's a little higher output than the first one. This starter is made by the same company PowerMaster. The new one has a different shape. It fit ,and has a little more space between the headers and the starter. Spins over real good.A bit loud but if this will fix my starter problem than it will stay .I haven't had the chance to take the car out and drive it in some heavy traffic . GTARoger