Thread: generator to Alternator conversion question

Cool generator to Alternator conversion question

Hello,

I installed an PerTronix ignitor to replace the point system, also changing my stock coil to a PerTronix 3.0 Ohm flame thrower coil on my 62 Ford Falcon Futura. Is it recommended/necessary to convert my generator to an alternator to support this set up?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jess

Not that I've heard of; though it's never a bad idea... unless you're going for the "gotta look stock" thing. If you're not adding a lot of power hungry items, and the GEN system is up to snuff, you'll be fine.

You just need to make sure the Pertronix Ignitor is getting the full 12 Volts in the RUN position on the key. If the coil can handle 12V full time, then you can, and should, bypass the PINK resistor wire in the Falcon. I made this for another member here to provide 12V to the Ignitor and let the PINK wire still feed the coil, as normal, if the coil can't handle the 12V full time. It was a simple thing to make. You simply insert this in-line at the ignition switch to pink wire feed (the only factory "bullet connector" on the ignition switch harness) and run the long wire to the Pertronix Ignitor. If the coil can handle 12V too, then feed the long wire to both Ignitor and coil and tape off the old coil feed wire (Red with Green tracer).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"