Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raptor/Falcon wagon crossbreed...

Raptor/Falcon wagon crossbreed...

Wrong crowd... apologies. Admin, kindly delete. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Turbocluck; August 23rd, 2021 at 10:49 PM. Reason: no interest, probably not the correct place for this.

That's one great ideal to put the v6 turbo in a Falcon. Please show more pictures as you go along with your build. GTARoger

Turbo,

Not a lot of purists here... and those that built one 'that way' still like what others do. This (thankfully) isn't like Facebook. You'll get a lot of lookers and fewer posters, but what you're doing is pretty awesome and I'm sure everyone appreciates your progress updates.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Turbo,

Not a lot of purists here... and those that built one 'that way' still like what others do. This (thankfully) isn't like Facebook. You'll get a lot of lookers and fewer posters, but what you're doing is pretty awesome and I'm sure everyone appreciates your progress updates.

Yeah, I get it, I'm just sick of the tribal BS... Everything nowadays has got to be so black and white. I'm a "shades of grey" kinda guy. I don't have an issue with purists, but man do they like to "share" their opinion of my mods...colorfully, with great dedication and gusto, now-a-days. Facebook, hands down is the worst and brings out the worst in folks in my honest opinion. I know some of these FB folks / co-workers personally, and some of the vitriol spewed at others on FB has caused me to lose several "friends" lately. I'm gun shy, for lack of a better term.

So yes, we have finished the 2.3 Ecoboost swap in Coop and pulled it back out for final tweaking etc. While I had an empty (gutted) engine bay that needs desperate attention and rust repair, I'd go ahead and mock up Sally's 3.5 Raptor motor and 10R so when we get to her, there won't be as many surprises and I'll know what all needs to be moved around or modified. Sally's engine bay sheetmetal is in very good shape except the battery tray area which will be removed and a new flat skirt will be installed to match the driver side. This is also where the twin intercoolers are mounted in order to maintain a "stock-ish" appearance up front. I also am planning this with Sally's patina in mind. NO exterior panels will be cut or modified other than a good cleaning with CLR and some patina preserver in satin.

So back to Coop... I was able to fit the engine in the bay without cutting the towers. The trick was to move the turbos outside the box and mount them between the aprons and the fenders after rotating the cartridges 90 degrees. There is alot of un-used real-estate when you look around. To keep the ICs happy I installed 2 12" Hayden fans on them to mimic the Raptor's PCM controlled Charge Air Cooler fans.

Now, most of you won't be running the massive wheel tire combo I am. If this is something you decide to try, you'll be happy to know that my 18s clear the turbo and all the plumbing easily when articulated and moved lock to lock. If my front tires will clear, yours should. We are also running inner fender skirts from a later model Ford Focus to keep the road spray down.

Plumbing the divorced turbos is pretty straight forward and we have managed to keep all bends to a minimum with the sharpest being a 90. 3 silicon couplers on each side and the remainder is all TIGged aluminum. The "radiator hoses" are simple stainless bits with silicone couplers on the ends. All heater hoses will also be silicone.

With some minor mods to the oilpan we were able to sink this tall girl down into the Falcon's narrow rails and get the crank centerline down to the same height as the 289 in comparison to the rails and floors. This should allow us to install the huge 10R80 10 speed auto without any massive mods to the floor pans. Coop will be getting 67-68 Mustang pans as hers are iron lace.

Anyways, just one old man's tinkering... if you like what I'm doing, feel free to let me know. If yer here just to bash and complain feel free to move along... Nothin' to see here folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Turbocluck; September 7th, 2021 at 05:45 PM.

Keep up the good work.Should make one little monster. GTARoger

Amazing workmanship. Your planning and ingenuity are needed in the Falcon world. I know what you mean about the purist comments. I went through similar castigating. But, I knew what I wanted and can't wait to see more of your pictures and stories. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Turbo... I just did a quick perusal of the threads penned about Coop and, maybe I missed them, but I couldn't find any negative (of any sort) about the work you are doing. I did find (as an admin here) a few posts you deleted, which I can view, but couldn't figure out why they were deleted. But in general, it seems there is true interest in your project(s) and skills. FWIW I'm on about 6 Falcon Facebook groups, since I'm a sucker for posting answers to Falcon questions, and find it very surprising when someone posts putting an LS into a Falcon on the MODIFIED Falcon group, and the rants of Chevy in a Ford (though I'm not a fan of, but to each their own) never cease. Makes one scratch their head. But here, I rarely see it.

That said, one thing that may help you would be to create a master thread, and just keep posting there as you do work. You can give any new post into a master thread a title, if you choose. Granted, like a few threads here, the length of the thread may get long (look at the Reconstruction or my Ranchero threads...), but the good thing about doing this is anyone who has replied to your thread will get a notification when you post an update, whereas a new thread may get overlooked if we get a busy day of posting. It also helps a feller follow the build process. Just a suggestion, but it's one of the reasons I rarely post what I do on Facebook, since there is no way to easily do a timeline progress thread.

Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 8th, 2021 at 12:11 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"