Thread: Muffler options with 16 gallon gas tank

Muffler options with 16 gallon gas tank

I currently have the stock 14 gallon tank on my '64 (6 cylinder), along with a stock style replacement muffler in the stock location. I will be installing a 16 gallon tank pretty soon, but I know that there won't be enough room for the stock muffler with the larger tank. I remember running into that issue years ago when NAPA mistakenly sold me the larger 16 gallon tank.

So what are those of you who have the 16 gallon tank doing for a muffler - and where? Is going to the '65-66 Mustang transverse muffler an option, or is there not enough room? Whatever I do, I know that I don't want to see a muffler hanging down under the car when I standing out to the side of it. I know our Falcons don't offer much in terms of hiding that, either.

I do want to maintain a quiet sound, so I'm.not looking for any performance muffler.
    Last edited by 1964Falcon; September 18th, 2021 at 12:36 PM.

Most V8 cars put their mufflers on the engine side of the rear end, tucked up in area below the back seat. You'll need a new muffler and tailpipe rework, but it doesn't (or doesn't have to - all in the craftsmanship of the exhaust tubing layout) hang lower than the stock pipe would have. The muffler would be a bit lower, but not drag on the ground low.

I know you have a 6, and this was too, but with headers and dual exhaust, but if you looked at this car from the side, it didn't look bad at all. These are stainless Borla mufflers, which are not loud at all, but this "shape" muffler can be had in a OE stock-style muffler with a bit of shopping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"