Thread: differences between the 63 and 64 steering columns

differences between the 63 and 64 steering columns

Could anyone share what the differences are between the floor shift 63 and 64 Falcon steering columns are? Would it be lengths, diameters, wiring pinouts, the way its mounted, differences in usable steering wheels?

Working on a special project in a 63 convertible, but looking for a tilt up adjustable column to install. Seems like options are available for a 64, not 63's. Seems like are left out.

I did the borgenson power steering box on my 65 Falcon.I had to cut the steering column shaft and weld a coupler to the shaft. I now want to install a tilt. steering column.Right now I'm trying to find the steering column in the right length with the right output shaft .It also looks like there's a problem where the column bolt under the dash. The tilt column is a bit longer where the turn signal and the adjustment lever mount.I think you will have about the same problems that I'm running into.

Which column are you looking at that has the tilt feature? I am looking at the Ididit for the '64 Falcon. At this point, I think I would just need to find a Ford compatible column and modify completely. I just need to determine what baseline column to use, then I can modify from there.

In your case, I think you could get away with setting up the column in the position you want, then cut down the bottom end to fit. You may be able to convert to a ragjoint end so you don't have any welding to do (using DD joints). Mounting it to the dash may become a custom bracket to the dash.

Thought I would circle back around and provide my solution for any future reference. I used the IDIDIT column for a 65 Mustang, cut it down to size as needed (lots of test fitting), but everything fit like a charm at the end. Wiring was the same except for the horn section, and just modified that to use the original one wire setup.
    IMG_4413.jpg

Was a the EPAS something added at this time too, or was it there and you needed to fix/finish it? Looked and didn't see any mention of it. What unit did you use? Any pics of the process? I did one using a Nissan Versa unit last winter, so just comparing notes.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"