Thread: Door fit

Door fit

My 62 Ranchero leaks water in from the door seals. In checking the problem out it seems the door jamb itself is the issue. Door seals are original, and still soft and not torn. But there is a gap at the top corner where the seal rounds the back edge of the window frame and the body upright pillar and top horizontal rail makes a square edge. I tried welding a blob of filler to give something to seal against but this should not ever be needed. It still leaks and it appears another 1/4" of fill is needed! Or raise the door up making the back edge body lines a bunch higher than the quarter panel. Anyone else have issues like this? And yes i know the seal bends inwards , it has nothing to snub against. IMG_1205.jpgIMG_1204.jpg

This is actually an issue with the doors. These sedan/Ranchero/tudor wagon doors are not flat across the top, but actually start to flow downwards at the back. Have not studied a sedan, but maybe it was to accommodate the sedan roofline and they were OK with it on the wagon/Ranchero. The rear of the upper part of the door seals were made to extend a bit taller back there to fill that gap. Very obvious on new seals. As the hinges sag and the rubber dries out and shrinks (though it may not yet be brittle) it pulls away. New seals and checking the hinge sag, if any, on the door hinges will resolve this.

Edit: I missed the photos. These are not factory seals. They have molded front edge and this corner, as shown in the image. Yours looks to be some generic "door seal" replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 31st, 2022 at 10:56 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    These are not factory seals. They have molded front edge and this corner, as shown in the image. Yours looks to be some generic "door seal" replacement.
    I think my picture isn't very clear because the seal is bent inwards. The corner is more square than it appears. I have a spare door and it has the same seal. It looks like original but maybe not, car/truck had been repainted even though the jambs aren't. Sedan doors getting used for the low volume Rancheros and wagons makes sense. Another problem is the level of the body posts in the door jamb. On the passenger side. the upper horizontal pillar is a good 3/16" deeper inset ... and all have original paint on them. It hasn't been hit, just not exactly put together by swiss watchmakers.
    Last edited by Tom P; February 1st, 2022 at 11:33 AM.

Tom, the factory (and reproduction) seals have a pre-molded rear-upper corner. It raises the sealing surface above the door frame upper/rear to cover this gap, which is the way all sedan/2-door wagon/Ranchero Falcon doors fit. I've put about a dozen of these on so far and all are like this - and need this molded piece to seal correctly.

Also, there should also be a pre-molded piece that goes across the front edge of the door as well. This piece transitions from the window frame section downward to the front door-skin pinch-edge section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"